short term study abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogluver1994

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question. I have a professor who takes a group of students each year for a 2 1/2 week study abroad trip. He claims that financial aid/scholarships can cover the costs for most students. Is this something I should consider doing? Does anyone else have experiences with a program with this short of a time span that they would be willing to share?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do one that short, but I have friends from undergrad who did and had positive experiences. I honestly recommend that everyone goes abroad, even if it is a short time frame. You often end up in situations you haven't experience before allowing for a lot of personal growth.

I went to Costa Rica one year, and New Zealand the next each for 12-16 days while in undergrad. They were animal science/agribusiness trips, not veterinary ones. Both trips were great and I did get a scholarship that covered like $500 for each one. I still had to pay a decent amount out of pocket, but nothing unbearable with some planning. I'm really glad it was something I did before vet school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have done 3 separate short term (ranging from 2 1/2 to 3 weeks each) study abroad educational experiences (Italy in undergrad and then Australia and China in high school), and I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything! While I do agree with orca in that traveling abroad does allow for a lot of personal growth, I also think that it is something that you personally have to be ready for and open minded to! You get the most out of being abroad when you have an open mind and make the most out of every experience that you have. If studying abroad is something that you are open to and you have an opportunity to go on scholarship, I'd say go for it! You'd be surprised what you can learn in a few short weeks.

Thank you all for your replies! Its definitely something I'd love to do. Now I just need to get the courage to ask my professor for more details so I can present the idea to my parents...