Study Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dania2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm a sophomore pre-vet student and I am trying to study abroad next semester. Unfortunately my school is very small and the study abroad department wasn't very helpful when I contacted them. So, here I am! I wanted to hear if anyone studied abroad and what program they did, what association they used, etc. Would love to know if you guys enjoyed it, if the program offered a lot of opportunities, internships, etc.

Since my school is small, I would love to study abroad in a university that offers courses in livestock science, equine science and the like.

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I did, but it was a program set up through my school so I'm not sure I have recommendations for programs to go through. However, I highly recommend it as an experience if you can manage it. I went for my entire junior year of college and it honestly it was probably one of my favorite years to date when looking back on it. Met some great people and traveled to some great places. I also fell in love with traveling and learned a lot about myself.

As for the courses, I wouldn't worry too much about finding a place that specifically offers those. Plenty of people get into vet school without them (myself included). If you're looking for the hands on experience side of things, just look during breaks and such. If trying to take courses to stay on track for graduation, etc, I'd just make sure that they can be transferred and match the required credits. I took microbiology abroad and while it transferred to my school fine, the credits ended up being different so I would have had to retake it to apply to certain vet schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I went to a small school as well with limited options. I ended up studying abroad with the Institute for Study Abroad at Butler University and I'd highly recommend them! The university I studied at (James Cook University in Townsville, Australia) even had a veterinary program (though I'm not sure if you could take classes there as a study abroad student). Even if you couldn't, I still got to do field work in my classes and see amazing animals. All in all it was one of the best experiences I've ever had, and you should definitely take the chance to study abroad!

I go to Rutgers University and recently studied abroad this past summer! I went to Belize and did a 2 week large animal veterinary practices in the tropics course. I really loved it! They also have other programs so you can extend your stay if 2 weeks isn't enough, but I felt that 2 weeks was perfect for me. I was able to go at the very beginning of the summer and make it back in time to still have an internship for the rest of the summer.

We basically spent 2 weeks with a veterinarian going out to different farms in the community and providing free veterinary services for their animals, including horses, goats, cows, pigs and sheep (most of the tuition for the course goes towards paying for these services). We also held a free clinic where we did spays, neuters, and vaccinations for people in the community who had dogs and cats. I really loved it and could talk about my trip forever lol :laugh:

I'm an ambassador for the program, so if you have any questions feel free to message me! It's called CELA Belize:
http://www.celabelize.com
I also kept a blog while I was there for a scholarship that I got from Rutgers, so if you're interested in reading that it has lots of info about the stuff we did in the program! : Pre Vet Study Abroad

Hi everyone!

Thank you for the replies and the advice! I'll definitely look into the programs that were mentioned!

Thank you again! :)

Check out Ohio State’s Office of International Affairs search feature. While you may not be eligible for the OSU sponsored trips, they do have information about larger external study abroad and internship programs that are open to students from various colleges. I’m pretty sure there are some animal related programs that pop up.