Shot at Chicago schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herewego

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overall GPA 3.8
Science: 3.6
MCAT 29Q 9-VR 10-BS 10-PS

Research, clinical experience/research, volunteering, leadership positions, etc etc, My ECs are pretty solid.

I know that Northwestern and U of C are out of my reach:(

But what about:
UIC
Loyola (I'm at undergrad at Loyola, with a committee letter)
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SIU

Anyone familiar with them that can give me some advice on whether I have a decent shot? I would appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

are you and IL resident???
I have a similar profile but a 35P MCAT, and I'm applying to all of those schools, but I think you have a good shot if you're from IL.

Sounds like a solid application. I agree you've got a very good shot at all of them. Just be aware that SIU tends to prefer applicants that are not from the Chicago area (but some do get in, so apply regardless). At the very least, you should almost certainly get an interview at UIC. And I would think you'll have multiple IL interview invites and likely acceptances. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, I'm an illinois resident. I heard that about SIU as well. Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated. :love:

I'd agree that your MCAT scores are too low for Feinberg and Pritzker and that you're competitive for: UIC, Rush, RFUMS and Loyola. These four are some of your best bets, so don't apply to too many OOS private schools. Consider MCW and perhaps some of the Jesuit schools (Creighton, SLU, G-town). That should cover it, for the most part.

I didn't even think about other jesuit schools. The fact that I'm already attending a jesuit institution gives me a couple of non-bs reasons to go to them. GREAT CALL.

Last edited:
Your welcome. You can consider Drexel and NYMC as well. Try not to go overboard with the number of applications, though.

The four IL schools (UIC, Rush, Loyola, CMS), three Jesuit schools (SLU, Creghton,
G-town) , MCW, Drexel and NYMC should be enough (total of 10).

I'm applying in Chicago! I hope your stats are adequate for these schools! If not, I have no chance. You seem like a solid candidate, and we always need more Illinois doctors!

I am glad to live in a state with this many choices...:thumbup:

IL has a lot of schools, but it also has a lot of state residents who are interested in Medidcal School. In addition, many of the schools are private and have little to no preference for IL residents (CMS, Feinberg and Pritzker). Loyola is about 50/50, while Rush has a strong preference for in state. In addition, UIC (and maybe some other U of I campuses) fill quite a few seats through the program for students out of High School. SIU, of course, prefers students from outside the Chicago area. As you can see, it's still tough...

IL has a lot of schools, but it also has a lot of state residents who are interested in Medidcal School. In addition, many of the schools are private and have little to no preference for IL residents (CMS, Feinberg and Pritzker). Loyola is about 50/50, while Rush has a strong preference for in state. In addition, UIC (and maybe some other U of I campuses) fill quite a few seats through the program for students out of High School. SIU, of course, prefers students from outside the Chicago area. As you can see, it's still tough...

I know RFU has traditionally been a haven for CA applicants, and I would imagine they still are. But for what it's worth, I remember when I was researching RFU a year ago I found a letter or annual report by the new dean stating that the past year (2006 or 2007?) was the first year that the school had a majority of IL residents as students, and I think I recall him saying that that was a trend they wanted to continue/increase. He also mentioned (and it's posted on their site) that they want to make RFU a "school of choice," and thus seem to be actively trying to recruit students with higher stats. I remember last year RFU's MCAT stat in the MSAR went from 29 to 31 (higher than that of Loyola (30) or Rush (30) for that year). And on my interview day in September, pretty much everyone there was talking about their recent interviews at pretty impressive schools (Pritzker, Northwestern, Michigan, etc.). I still definitely think it's worth applying - just thought I'd throw that out there. As for my impression of the school, it was actually quite favorable (with the exception of the location). Nice school.

By no means do I think I'm guaranteed anything..I never have. I'm well aware of my at best, average chances..which is why I was quite disappointed with my MCAT score. I usually ranged in the low 30s..but the motivation and time is gone now..

Bit disheartening because I worked my butt off to be a good applicant, but because of a few curve balls from fate I'm just average..c'est la vie, I hope it wasn't all in vain.

I know the GPPA program at UIC doesn't eat up THAT many spots. How many were you thinking though?

I know the GPPA program at UIC doesn't eat up THAT many spots. How many were you thinking though?

I wouldn't worry about it. UIC is a large school with many slots for IL residents. I would be shocked if you didn't get an interview there. It's by no means guaranteed, but I'd feel comfortable betting money on it. ;)