Shot at getting into DPT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfunk10

Reaction score
Hello I appreciate all of the feedback in advance.

I currently am almost 29 years old and not happy with where I am at financially. I have always been interested in physical therapy.

I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Exercise Science with only a gpa of 3.144. At this point of my career I was interested in strength and conditioning and did internships at the University of Nebraska and a division II college where I did my undergrad.

I then went into graduate school where I was a graduate assistant in the Health and Human Performance of Sport department teaching undergraduate classes. I completed my Master's of Science and Education in Exercise Science with a 4.0 gpa.

To get into graduate school I took the GRE and only scored 146Q 143V and 3.5A but this has now expired as it was back in 2015 and I realize I will have to retake it when I apply for DPT school.

I have not taken any of the pre-requisites for DPT school except for Statistics which I took in grad school. My question is, do you think I would have a decent chance at getting into DPT school if I did the pre-reqs? I am really considering taking the pre-reqs over the next 2 years and trying to get at least 200 observation hours while I am at it and continue working at my job. Also-- is it fine to take the pre-reqs at a community college, or would that hinder my chances at getting in?

Any other advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You're good my dude just ace those pre reqs and Gre. Apply with all the necessary admission requirements and you got a decent shot, try not to undercut yourself, 4.0 masters and a GA not bad for an extracurricular. There's somebody out there willing to give you a shot. Your age might even help and bring new experiences for the class they choose to take in. Also unless your job pays substantially more pt aide won't be bad to gain hours

I currently am almost 29 years old and not happy with where I am at financially. I have always been interested in physical therapy.

I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Exercise Science with only a gpa of 3.144. At this point of my career I was interested in strength and conditioning and did internships at the University of Nebraska and a division II college where I did my undergrad.

I then went into graduate school where I was a graduate assistant in the Health and Human Performance of Sport department teaching undergraduate classes. I completed my Master's of Science and Education in Exercise Science with a 4.0 gpa.

To get into graduate school I took the GRE and only scored 146Q 143V and 3.5A but this has now expired as it was back in 2015 and I realize I will have to retake it when I apply for DPT school.

I have not taken any of the pre-requisites for DPT school except for Statistics which I took in grad school. My question is, do you think I would have a decent chance at getting into DPT school if I did the pre-reqs? I am really considering taking the pre-reqs over the next 2 years and trying to get at least 200 observation hours while I am at it and continue working at my job. Also-- is it fine to take the pre-reqs at a community college, or would that hinder my chances at getting in?

Your BS should have covered most of the DPT pre-reqs, no? My BS is ex sci and I only had to take two additional classes as pre-reqs (physics 2 & dev psych).

Every school I talked to didn't mind CC pre-reqs but I think there are a handful out there who do mind. I wouldn't worry about it though.

I'd also look closely at cost of a DPT program vs expected income in your area/where you want to live. There are some wildly overpriced programs for not a great salary. Not being happy where you are financially is of course different for everyone, so I'd suggest crunching some numbers to make sure that this will land you where you would be happy financially :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely thinking taking your pre reqs at a community college will save you lots of money. But you should also look at the schools at the lower end as well and see their cut off GPAs and such too. And of course your GRE is still to factor in, You should be fine!! Don't worry too much!

Some schools will not require GRE if you have Masters! Look into that.
Yes, you have a good chance to get to PT school with GPA 4.0 in Post-grad education! You should be able to get good grades in pre-reques if you did it before in post-grad.
Definitely take pre-reques in a community college! No need to spend more money for the same classes elsewhere. PT schools do not care where you take classes as long as it's an accredited school. I took all my pre-reques in a community college.

If you are considering a career in physical therapy for financial reasons think again. Your debt to income ratio will be very high once you finish school unless you manage to get into a very inexpensive program. Additionally coming out of the gate you will likely make between $60k-$65k a year in acute care and closer to $70k in OP/SNF. Home Health would be a little higher. Pay rates in therapy are stagnating and more is being asked of clinicians than in any other time in history. Don't be fooled by anecdotal stories. Become a therapist because that is what brings you joy.

Reactions: 1 users
You're good my dude just ace those pre reqs and Gre. Apply with all the necessary admission requirements and you got a decent shot, try not to undercut yourself, 4.0 masters and a GA not bad for an extracurricular. There's somebody out there willing to give you a shot. Your age might even help and bring new experiences for the class they choose to take in. Also unless your job pays substantially more pt aide won't be bad to gain hours
I don’t really think that’s that old of an age , though