1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

should a BA or BS make a difference?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by annievu, Mar 6, 2007.

1. annievu

annievu Member
    7+ Year Member

hi guys, i am just wondering about the difference between a BA and a BS in Biology regarding competition of pharmacy admissions. I already looked up on my school's website for the requirements of both and it seemed that BA for Biology require less Bio Electives and everything else is about the same. Would pharmacy schools' admission members judge applicants to be less competitive for holding a BA degree in Biology?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lastemp

lastemp New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    We probably need someone that has been in adcom before to answer this one.

My guess is that each school probably has a chart which has a list of degrees and how many points are awarded to your application.

In my opinion, there shouldn't be much of a point difference between a BA and BS in Biology but who knows, it could be a huge difference. If you have a BA in Biology and already have a strong application, having a BS in biology wouldn't make it much stronger.

4. Jitaka

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    When I graduate, I will graduate with a BSA in Microbiology and Cell Science. Whats the difference b/w a BS, a BA, and a BSA?

5. SCCpharm

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    BS is Bachelor of Science and BA is Bachelor of Arts. Typically, BS is more specific and specialized to the major, while BA is broader. For the BS in computer science, I learned more specifically software engineering, while I was told the BA is for people interested in the business side of computers.

I think BSA stands for Bachelor of Science in Agriculture. I don't know what it means.

6. KellyBean

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    If you don't get into pharmacy school and don't go into grad school, BA is useless. Just take those few extra classes and get a BS.

As for pharmacy school, some of them don't even care if you have a BA or BS. They want you to at least complete the pre-requisites and have high GPA and PCAT score.

7. Pharm47

Pharm47 Just keep running...
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Ha...that is interesting. The fact of the matter is, it all depends on what school you go to. I attended a highly selective college that only offered a BA. It is a liberal arts college that has an amazing reputation within academia. My BA isn't useless...not only did I get accepted to each school I applied to, but I have enjoyed a successful career for three years after graduation before deciding to pursue pharmacy.

8. KellyBean

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    How did I know that comment was gonna come back and bite me in the behind? :D

9. lvp0021

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    BS is more beneficial than BA. BA is more libral-art related and you don't get much training inhardcore sciences, which is require for the professional pharmaceutical career. BS provides you more chances to learn research skills, critical thinking and management in sciences and you deal with more difficult stuffs. Usually people with BA seem to go into teaching as far as I know. I'd defintely pick BS (which I'll have this coming May :))

10. pharm415

2+ Year Member

I personally think a B.A. makes u stand out as an applicant given you got good grades for all your pre-reqs. I am a BS. tho.

11. calipharming

calipharming member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I think it totally depends on which school you go to. Some schools that only give out B.A. actually require more upper division science classes than schools that offer B.S. So it depends. But in general, for schools that offer both B.A. and B.S., it's better to get the B.S. because it's a little more challenging and it will show that you can handle the tougher science classes. If you can do well in those classes, you will certainily make a good impression on the adcom. However, I have to say I don't like the sound of BS. :)