Should DO admissions committees review MD/DO applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aecuenca

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everone!

When applying to osteopathic schools, applicants applying to MD/DO schools always have to be prepared to be asked "Why did you apply to both programs?" or "if you were accepted to both, which would you choose?". In addition, a lot of schools look favorably on the applicant who chooses to apply solely to osteopathic schools.

There is the issue of the "DO identity crisis". Are DO's truly different from MD's? Is the education that osteopathic students receiving from MD's geared in a different philosophy towards medicine? If that is the case, then why do osteopathic schools review applicants to apply to both MD and DO programs?

These are just questions I'm throwing out to see what all of you think. With all of the complaints of the MD-wanna be's "stealing" spots from those truly dedicated to osteopathic medicine, you've got to wonder why osteopathic schools would want to review these applicants.

Now, this is not to say that every MD/DO applicant is like that. There are those that truly want to become a physician, but I'm willing to bet that most (not all) of those applicants that apply to both are using the DO application as a backup in case MD doesn't work out.

You hear a lot of students on this forum giving advice about not applying to DO schools if you don't believe in the philosophy, the efficacy of OMM, etc. because the admissions committees can see through you. Really, is that true? I know a lot of B.S.'ers out there who can fool anyone.

The reason I bring this topic up was because an old roommate of mine gives me a call and is stressing about the MCAT. He's your 30 y/o non-trad student and ever since I can remember had a low opinion of DO schools. Now, he calls me for advice and then realizes that his extracurricular box is pretty much empty and his chances to get into MD school isn't that great, and says he's considering applying to DO schools as well. Do you know how upsetting that is to hear that?

So what do all of you think?

Arnold
WESTERN U/COMP CLASS OF 2004

Members don't see this ad.

If AACOM all of a sudden mandated that no DO applicant will apply to MD schools in the same application cycle, the number of DO applications will head straight down. The reason is simple: the profession is still relatively UNKNOWN despite the Unity Campaign (whose effects this outsider of the profession has yet to feel).

Osteopathic schools want both highly qualified students and students who believe in osteopathic medicine. For the most part, as you mentioned, I don't think you can get both unfortunately.

It would also be a bit contradictory for the osteopathic profession to close its doors to applicants who apply to both MD and DO schools. The allopathic world has pretty much embraced the osteopathic world with residencies, hospital privileges, and all that stuff. If the DOs decide to shut their doors to MD applicants, isn't this another example of the perceived isolationist attitude of some DOs?

Tim of New York City.