Should I accept MD interview at WashU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDUSA23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an email today for an interview at WashU for MD only. I was not offered an MSTP interview. I already have 6 interviews scheduled for January; 5 of them are for MSTP or MD/PhD. I am concerned about how much school and time at work I will miss, and I am not sure accepting the interview at WashU is in my best interest. But it is difficult to turn away an interview when I do not have an acceptance yet.

I can only schedule the interview immediately after my interview at University of Wisconsin and right before interviews at Miami and University of North Carolina.

Should I take it? I really like the school, but I would not accept an MD offer over an MSTP offer.

Members don't see this ad.

If accepted into their MD program would you attend?
If accepted into their MD program vs MSTP would you attend?
Do you think you will be accepted into a MSTP?

Yes, no, yes = no interview
Yes, no, no = yes interview

Really comes down to that last question for you...

If accepted into their MD program would you attend?
If accepted into their MD program vs MSTP would you attend?
Do you think you will be accepted into a MSTP?

Yes, no, yes = no interview
Yes, no, no = yes interview

Really comes down to that last question for you...

The third question is not an easy one to answer. I believe that it is likely I will be accepted into at least one of the 5 MST or MD/PhD programs for which I have interviews. But it is possible I will receive no acceptances.

I think it is also important for me to consider the likelihood of receiving an acceptance at WashU. I would be interviewing late in the season. Almost all of the costs associated with my other interviews are being paid for by the programs. This is not true for the WashU interview. I would have to cover the costs of the WashU interview, take time out of my packed schedule and likely be put on a WashU waitlist (they are known for waitlisting a bunch of people and giving you no idea of your standing on the list).

It seems to me I am more likely to receive an MSTP acceptance than an acceptance at WashU. But I do not have statistics to back-up this opinion. I am seeing little benefit from attending the interview, unless I received 0 acceptances at other programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest scheduling the interview as late as possible, not as early as possible. Then if you do get an MD/PhD acceptance, you can withdraw. Just make sure you give them a few weeks' notice if you do this; it's not nice to withdraw a couple of days prior because then they can't give the slot to someone else.

If they're only interviewing up through January, then it's a tougher call. But if you'd rather do an MD at Wash U than have to reapply next year in case none of the MD/PhD programs work, then you should suck it up and go. If you'd rather reapply than go MD-only, then it makes sense to decline.

I suggest scheduling the interview as late as possible, not as early as possible. Then if you do get an MD/PhD acceptance, you can withdraw. Just make sure you give them a few weeks' notice if you do this; it's not nice to withdraw a couple of days prior because then they can't give the slot to someone else.

If they're only interviewing up through January, then it's a tougher call. But if you'd rather do an MD at Wash U than have to reapply next year in case none of the MD/PhD programs work, then you should suck it up and go. If you'd rather reapply than go MD-only, then it makes sense to decline.

Thank you for the advice. This strategy makes sense. I will schedule a later interview. I under no circumstances want to reapply.