Psychology Should I accept this PsyD admission offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted into a highly respected PsyD program in Counseling Psychology (only admitting about 7 students straight out of B.A./B.S.) but I'm not sure if I should accept it vs. wait another year and re-apply to Clinical/Counseling PhD programs (I have solid research experiences but lacked publications and had just okay GRE scores).
In the future I see myself doing mostly clinical work but I would like to also have some variety in my career where I can be involved in research, teach courses, etc.
I'm, however, afraid that I will be wasting my time waiting to get into PhD programs when I could enroll in this PsyD program and receive great training while seeking extra research opportunities.
When I spoke with my mentor, a PhD professor at one of the most competitive PhD Clinical programs in the country, she said that I'm at no loss regardless of which decision I go for. She said PhD programs are definitely within my reach so I can apply again with some publications and better GRE Quant , but she's also an advocate of that particular PsyD program and thinks that I will receive solid clinical training if I accept the offer. Still, I need to hear what other people think to fully know what I might be getting myself into.
The program costs about 120K but with my family's help and a small scholarship they offered, I might be left with under 80K. I would appreciate any honest advice or feedback you have for me. Thanks for bearing with my long post!!

I can't disagree with your mentor especially if she is confident that you will do well and not lose anything. What are you concerned about? Is it the degree? Your career opportunities? The costs?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Whether you have a PhD or PsyD won't change what you can do regarding research. You most certainly can work clinically with each. If your mentor or fond of this PsyD program you already are accepted to, I'd highly consider it. 1 in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush. It seems solid, and your goals will be attainable just the same. This might be extremely broad, but in my own opinion AND observations, PsyD=PhD just like MD=DO, DMD=DDS, etc.

To be honest, I’m leaning towards the PsyD program but I’m most concerned about the stigma around PsyD program and afraid that my hard work will be discounted because of the type of degree. It’s discouraging knowing that I might be viewed as inferior to an average PhD even if I put in the same, if not much more, effort (e.g. going above and beyond to secure research opportunities as a PsyD, working, taking many more advanced courses, etc). So to answer you question, the degree type and the career opportunities are my main worries. I’m not gonna complain much about the cost because I didn’t pay a dime in undergrad and feel like with family support and working part time, it will be manageable ( correct me if I’m oversimplify the money component)
Agreeing with @MusicDOc124 , I think doctorate degrees have evolved to a point where if the PsyD is equivalent to a PhD, you shouldn't worry about it. Extending to other analogies, there are a lot of EdD's I have networked with who are expert in education issues. It's no difference in that case, and I think it's not going to be any different with PsyD vs. PhD.

Status
Not open for further replies.