Should I act fake during my interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cormega

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if I should be myself or whether I should say what I think they want to hear. I could probably end up offending the interviewer by expressing my actual opinions but I can't stand acting fake so I guess I'll have to risk it.

I'm going to be interviewing at some very high ranked schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Cormega said:
I was just wondering if I should be myself or whether I should say what I think they want to hear. I could probably end up offending the interviewer by expressing my actual opinions but I can't stand acting fake so I guess I'll have to risk it.

I would steer clear of extremely controversial issues but I wouldn't act "fake." Express yourself in a polite, stern, but uncontroversial fashion and you shall be fine.

Cormega said:

This is a bit of an arrogent statement considering you have not yet applied. (And probably do not yet have an official MCAT score, although I admittedly do not know this for certain). This process is a bit unpredictable even with very good stats/EC's. My 3.89gpa (Uva, BS Chemistry), 39 MCAT friend did not get interviews at all the schools he applied to. So perhaps at the moment it'd be better for you just to worry about letters of rec.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be a phony. Holden Caulfield will hate you.

Reactions: 1 user
Cormega said:

Most premed undergrads are not as good at faking their way through an interview as they would like to believe. And most don't have a good sense of knowing exactly what the interviewer wants to hear anyhow. The goal of a school is to put together a qualified, yet diverse student body, and pick people with whom there is a "good fit". They expect you to be personable and have some expressable interest in the career you are purportedly seeking to practice for the bulk of your remaining life. If your opinions are such that they would offend the typical interviewer (and hence frequently the typical academic institution clinician, as they are often one and the same), you might be going into the wrong field, as this will be the type of person who will initially teach you and ultimately work with you. You'd have to be ready to fake it the rest of your life.

Dakota said:
This is a bit of an arrogent statement considering you have not yet applied. (And probably do not yet have an official MCAT score, although I admittedly do not know this for certain). This process is a bit unpredictable even with very good stats/EC's. My 3.89gpa (Uva, BS Chemistry), 39 MCAT friend did not get interviews at all the schools he applied to. So perhaps at the moment it'd be better for you just to worry about letters of rec.

I don't think it's arrogant. I'm only going to applying to those top ranked schools so whatever interview I get is going to be from a top school.

Cormega said:
I don't think it's arrogant. I'm only going to applying to those top ranked schools so whatever interview I get is going to be from a top school.

Yeah, but have you even taken the mcat?

Interviewers can spot a fake pretty easily I think, why would you want to fake anyway? To fake essentially is to admit to yourself that you are not a good candidate or at least acknowledges that there would be a better kind out there. Why not just be yourself?

modelslashactor said:
Interviewers can spot a fake pretty easily I think, why would you want to fake anyway? To fake essentially is to admit to yourself that you are not a good candidate or at least acknowledges that there would be a better kind out there. Why not just be yourself?

Because I really wan't to get accepted to a certain school and I don't want to ruin my chances by saying something that is going to offend the interviewer.

I agree with Law2Doc; I doubt you would be that successful at "faking" an interview. It doesn't sound like you really know what adcoms want to hear.

What are these things that you might say during an interview that could offend the interviewer? Would you say you think his research is stupid? That hospital floors should be segregated based on skin color? Please tell us these controversial views that you have.

The fact that you will be interviewing at top schools is irrelevant. No one wants to interview a schmuck. If you are an @sshole at baseline, then yes, you should try to fake it during the interview. If not, then be yourself; you'll have a better shot at impressing the interviewer then.

Cormega said:

Hahaha don't be stupid apply to a range of schools your arrogance may well result in a handful of rejection letters from those top ranked schools...the entire process is a crapshoot give yourself every advantage you can...oh and to your original question don't act fake but use your discretion...clearly there are some questions that people may not want to hear your honest opinion

Don't take this kid seriously. He or she is only in high school.

This is clearly Jurmanium! For those of you actually answering his/her outrageous questions, you have been fooled.

um... i'd reread the title of your thread. what would common sense dictate? unless your interviewer is a total dingus who's going to come after you like a bull for saying anything he doesn't agree with. be real and be sincere for your sake and the sake of your future classmates.

and i'm sure you'll get your interviews at those top schools. considering how arrogant you sound, you must have your academics down. however, surviving the interview step is something i doubt you can do.

Members don't see this ad :)
happydays said:

This is clearly Jurmanium! For those of you actually answering his/her outrageous questions, you have been fooled.

yea, that's what i was thinking too, but i wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

on second thought... please be as real as you are on this forum. i'm sure your golden personality and your award winning ideas will clear your way into med school.

Cormega said:

Hmmm. I think the diagnosis of the OP is a severe case of Trollism causing secondary rectal pain to the readers of his posts. But hey, I haven't even started my first year yet. Any other opinions from my fellow sdners?

Seriously, since you haven't answered me on whether or not you've even taken the mcat, I'm assuming you haven't. I think you might have some problems getting into ANY medical school outside of the Caribbean because you are an arrogant butthead. Since adcoms have a talent for sniffing out fakeness and weeding out those who are completely and totally immersed in their own "intellectualism," I would say that you are screwed no matter how you act at your interviews at top ranked schools, if you even get them.

happydays said:

This is what I don't understand: it's a lot work to be a troll. You need to make new email addresses, register, reply to the registration email, make a stupid thread, continue to bait the people who reply, &/c.
I mean, why doesn't this kid have a life?

jebus said:
This is what I don't understand: it's a lot work to be a troll. You need to make new email addresses, register, reply to the registration email, make a stupid thread, continue to bait the people who reply, &/c.
I mean, why doesn't this kid have a life?
When he/she makes a new account, why don't you ask him/her?

happydays said:

How do you know it's Jurmanium? Are you just assuming that because it's a silly thread that it's him? Couldn't it be another person trying to mess with the forums?

I'm curious how people often seem to know when other posters switch screennames...

ChocolateKiss said:
How do you know it's Jurmanium? Are you just assuming that because it's a silly thread that it's him? Couldn't it be another person trying to mess with the forums?

I'm curious how people often seem to know when other posters switch screennames...
It was figured out from another thread he made. I'm sure Dr. Mom looked at the IP addresses or something relatively simple. It doesn't matter, he's been banned anyway. Who likes cookies?

ChocolateKiss said:

regardless, it's a stupid question even if it's not the same person. but, it's kinda easy to tell looking at his (i'm convinced he's a guy ) other posts, all stupid questions too.

ChocolateKiss said:

I have the amazing ability to put 2 and 2 together to make 4.

It's from reading Jurmanium's old posts. Look him up and you'll see.

The mods can confirm that this is Jurmanium by looking at his/her IP address.

ChocolateKiss said:

It's easy to tell from the person's tone and posting habits, the type of questions s/he asks, etc. For instance, I have a hunch that you operate under three different names.

argonana said:
It's easy to tell from the person's tone and posting habits, the type of questions s/he asks, etc. For instance, I have a hunch that you operate under three different names.

What are you talking about? This is the internet. Don't even try to assume someone's personality by reading their posts, PLEASE.

shinenjk said:
What are you talking about? This is the internet. Don't even try to assume someone's personality by reading their posts, PLEASE.

Okay, I should clarify--it's occasionally easy to tell if people have different names based on the schools they're interviewing at/have been accepted to. Especially if they post a lot about a certain school.
I wasn't getting at personality at all, but rather grammar, spelling, etc. The OP is probably the only person in the world who types like that.

OMG, has SDN been hijacked by a high school student? Yes ... bullsh*t your way through your HMS interview, see if I give a rat's @ss. I'm gonna be your resident, so just keep on fakin' it ... I'll catch you some day.

Cormega said:
Because I really wan't to get accepted to a certain school and I don't want to ruin my chances by saying something that is going to offend the interviewer.

Whoa, buddy! The word want doesn't contain an apostrophe. For some reason I get the feeling you're not "top school" material. Sorry to be mean, that's probably just the Guinness talking...

argonana said:
Okay, I should clarify--it's occasionally easy to tell if people have different names based on the schools they're interviewing at/have been accepted to. Especially if they post a lot about a certain school.
I wasn't getting at personality at all, but rather grammar, spelling, etc. The OP is probably the only person in the world who types like that.

*nod* Understood. ;)