Should I add additional non-clinical volunteering hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlyingJit

Reaction score
I'm a traditional applicant in my junior year planning on applying this next cycle in the summer. I think I have a well rounded application except for maybe not having much or any nonclinical volunteering hours that will count. I will have about 300 volunteer hours from a hospital that I been volunteering since Freshman year, and will also have maybe around 100 from a Hospice from this year. I think I can count my hospital volunteering as nonnlincal since I don't really interact with any patients and is mainly desk stuff. I have been hearing the importance of volunteering to serve underserved communities especially in Texas, so I was thinking of volunteering at a food bank. The only issue is that I don't have much time with classes, work, and research. I am also in a social frat where we have done a few volunteering events that are all over the place, but nothing that really adds up. The rest of my application according to TMDSAS is 3.9 Cum GPA, 511 Mcat, 1000+ hours of being a MA, 1300+ hours of research since freshman year, and 50 hours of shadowing across 3 specialties. Please let me know what you guys think, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you were working in the gift shop, or moving empty gurneys through the sub-basement, hospital volunteering is usually automatically considered "clinical", particularly if you had any interactions with staff members providing hands on care, or were speaking with patients and/or their family members such as a information desk.

If the reason you want to be a physician is to help people, use some of your time now to help people using the skills you already have (maybe orienting and guiding people using a food pantry or soup kitchen, tutoring kids from under-performing schools, helping athletes with disabilities participate in Special Olympics, etc) Find something you enjoy and try to stick with it for 3 hours per week for the next 10 months.

Reactions: 1 user
OP

If you can't find the time to do significant nonclinical volunteering while still in school, then consider taking a gap year where you can bolster either clinical exp or research while doing nonclinical volunteering.

It's a lot more fun than being a reapplicant.

You do have to watch out that your MCAT score doesn't expire in the meantime, however.

Reactions: 2 users