Should I address this in my ps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lake556

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got two c's in the same semester..only C's in college. I have a 3.7 gpa..I don't feel they are that big of a deal. They weren't prereqs. I just fell in :love: and got a little distracted. Is it worth addressing?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No, you don't want to draw attention to any negatives in your personal statement. This essay is meant to address 'why medicine?' and 'how have you gone about validating your career aspirations?" The fact that you got a couple C's has nothing to do with either question.

I got two c's in the same semester..only C's in college. I have a 3.7 gpa..I don't feel they are that big of a deal. They weren't prereqs. I just fell in :love: and got a little distracted. Is it worth addressing?

Thanks

No.

Possible interpretation of situation: I allow my personal affairs to negatively affect my performance in school. Please accept me, since I will be celibate in medical school.

If your GPA / MCAT are fine, I don't think it's worth a mention.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks
no

Thanks

Hell no. This is just another example of premed naivety. You do not explain away two C's in your PS. Like with your interviews, as you do not have any serious academic deficits, you want to keep your PS clean and present yourself as favorably as possible in a lasting light. This statement would greatly detract from that. Your excellent grades will speak for themselves.

It likely won't last anyway.
(/joke)

No, you don't want to draw attention to any negatives in your personal statement. This essay is meant to address 'why medicine?' and 'how have you gone about validating your career aspirations?" The fact that you got a couple C's has nothing to do with either question.

This should be linked to and/or pasted in every thread that asks this question.

OP I am in the exact same situation. 2 C's in 1 semester. I got sick... it's a long story. So, even if its to explain illness, still don't mention it?

I am hoping I don't have to mention it because when I do, it really kills the essay's flow. Then again, we do not get another guaranteed opportunity to tell the adcoms why the grades dipped. So, wouldn't it be more prudent to mention it?

I am hoping I don't have to mention it because when I do, it really kills the essay's flow. Then again, we do not get another guaranteed opportunity to tell the adcoms why the grades dipped. So, wouldn't it be more prudent to mention it?

Many secondaries have a prompt asking this exact question. Additionally, there is ample room in the 'challenges' portion of the primary application to address academic inconsistencies due to illness, etc.

Many secondaries have a prompt asking this exact question. Additionally, there is ample room in the 'challenges' portion of the primary application to address academic inconsistencies due to illness, etc.

too bad falling in love probably doesn't count as a challenge...

Unless you guys break up after argument about how she ruined your grades and then you find out she's actually pregnant with your child but killed it out of anger and grief so then you tried to get her back but the shadow of the unborn babe looms over both of you. As your relationship deteriorates your psyche too enters a downward spiral, symbolised by recurring unnatural phenomena such as an earthquake, a lightning snowstorm, and the discovery of your dog rotting in the front yard. Fear that you will once again hurt her and gripping guilt from your previous transgression drive you to paralysis and you watch helplessly as your dreams, both professional and personal, shatter to pieces. Your propensity to help others and to suffer guilt when you cannot becomes the very catalyst of your downfall, made apparent from the climax of the story when you, desperate for escape, run away from her after an argument only to turn and see her tumble down the stairs as she chases after you... and dies from this second, unanticipated miscarriage. The shock is irreconcilable for you as you struggle to understand the nihilistic nature of the human condition, for even these last moments you cannot let go of the idealism instilled in you from your childhood. You turn on the gas and lay down next to her yet-warm body; holding her hands you close your eyes as consciousness slips away. Your last thought is of a moment before your fight--a few months ago yet infinitely far away--when you watched the sunlight caught in her hair as you both awoke one lazy Sunday morning. Then--blackness.

I have to stop reading MCAT lit passages

too bad falling in love probably doesn't count as a challenge...

Unless you guys break up after argument about how she ruined your grades and then you find out she's actually pregnant with your child but killed it out of anger and grief so then you tried to get her back but the shadow of the unborn babe looms over both of you. As your relationship deteriorates your psyche too enters a downward spiral, symbolised by recurring unnatural phenomena such as an earthquake, a lightning snowstorm, and the discovery of your dog rotting in the front yard. Fear that you will once again hurt her and gripping guilt from your previous transgression drive you to paralysis and you watch helplessly as your dreams, both professional and personal, shatter to pieces. Your propensity to help others and to suffer guilt when you cannot becomes the very catalyst of your downfall, made apparent from the climax of the story when you, desperate for escape, run away from her after an argument only to turn and see her tumble down the stairs as she chases after you... and dies from this second, unanticipated miscarriage. The shock is irreconcilable for you as you struggle to understand the nihilistic nature of the human condition, for even these last moments you cannot let go of the idealism instilled in you from your childhood. You turn on the gas and lay down next to her yet-warm body; holding her hands you close your eyes as consciousness slips away. Your last thought is of a moment before your fight--a few months ago yet infinitely far away--when you watched the sunlight caught in her hair as you both awoke one lazy Sunday morning. Then--blackness.

I have to stop reading MCAT lit passages

tl;dr

aSagacious said:

Thanks!

Hell no. This is just another example of premed naivety. You do not explain away two C's in your PS. Like with your interviews, as you do not have any serious academic deficits, you want to keep your PS clean and present yourself as favorably as possible in a lasting light. This statement would greatly detract from that. Your excellent grades will speak for themselves.

It likely won't last anyway.
(/joke)

It didn't :)

Only reasons I asked because in the PS thread it said this...

"Pointers:
A) Remember to address any insufficiencies or lapses in your grades (or any major weaknesses in your application)"

Not really sure about the naivety part :confused: