Should I also retake labs for post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

le_lo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently finished my undergrad and currently looking into post-bacc programs in order to boost my GPA.
I am planning on retaking some classes I got a B in but does that mean I should also be retaking the labs with them as well (ex. physics)?

At my undergrad college, the grade for physics lecture was lumped with lab (5 credit course). The college where I am pursuing my post-bacc splits physics up into a 4 credit lecture and a 1 credit lab.

In my case, should I retake physics lab as well or not?
Hoping to hear a response! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I just recently finished my undergrad and currently looking into post-bacc programs in order to boost my GPA.
I am planning on retaking some classes I got a B in but does that mean I should also be retaking the labs with them as well (ex. physics)?

At my undergrad college, the grade for physics lecture was lumped with lab (5 credit course). The college where I am pursuing my post-bacc splits physics up into a 4 credit lecture and a 1 credit lab.

In my case, should I retake physics lab as well or not?
Hoping to hear a response! :)

Terrible plan

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not retake classes you got a B in. Honestly, even some C's won't kill you. I had a 3.6 with a few C's.

Could you elaborate which part of my plan is terrible?...

the part I highlighted, retaking a B does not add enough value to constitute a retake. instead, take more upper level bios, classes dental schools are looking for and recommending. what are all the science classes you have taken excluding the pre-reqs?

Could you elaborate which part of my plan is terrible?...

Retaking classes that you received Bs in is not ideal. It isn't going to help raise your GPA either. You should only retake classes that you received Ds or Fs in and if you don't have those kinds of grades, then you should either look into a masters program?

Last edited:
retake upper level bio courses then i guess, if u have a C- / C or below . i mean u dont have another option bc youre doing a "postbacc" . so if uve already decided on a postbacc instead of a masters, and u already have a bio degree with lotsa upper levels.....then ur basically going to have to retake the courses if u cant find new ones
so just do it. what is your other option? i dont see one besides a masters which may not even help u if ure saying ur undergrad science gpa is low.

I agree, bad idea to retake courses where you got a B. It's a lose-lose situation.

If you get an A, schools will think 'of course, you repeated the course, you should get an A'.

If you get less than an A, schools will think you're a scrub.

The better choice is take different science courses and get A's in those, preferably 400 levels.

Two things schools hate: repeats and withdrawals.

Edit: Also, post-bac programs are designed for nonscience majors who didn't have those pre-requisite science classes (or only had a limited number of those courses) for dental school. If you enroll in a post-bac program merely to repeat courses already taken to boost your GPA, it will be so obvious to the Admissions Committee that they may hold it against you. They'll be wondering why you didn't either enroll in a Masters program or take a bunch of new 400 level courses instead. It'll be a waste of money and time.

Last edited:
generally... the best and most efficient way to utilize a post-bacc system is to take NEW upper division biology courses and acing them.

retaking a course and earning a 4.0 in them isn't all that impressive, especially since the material is just a repeat (waste of time, money, and effort)

focus on new upper level bios.... if current school doesn't have enough bios, switch your post-bacc to another college that does

the post-bacc programs on the west coast are structured to mimic dental/medical school 1st year material. As far as I know, I don't think you have a choice. I always thought that they chose the classes for you. But yeah, take harder, upper-div courses. rape them. then go to d-school