Should I apply again this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kublai Khan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently in a situation where I never received an acceptance this cycle, save for a couple waitlists that may come to fruition.

cGPA 3.65 sGPA 3.57 MCAT 512

EC’s:
Spent a lot of time teaching students and volunteering at the local ICU.

Also listed some customer service-associated jobs

Little to no research experience.

Would it be in my best interest to try and apply again this cycle? I received about 3 interviews. 1 rejection and 2 waitlists. I’m currently working a full-time clinical-oriented job at the hospital, and have been for the entirety of this gap year. In the meantime, should I continue this job, and take some coursework, or try and get a research-oriented job? I realize the lack of research experience may have been part of the reason for such a lack of acceptances.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends. You have 3 interviews so clearly you don't have a problem there. You can work on interview skills heavily and focus there. Your clinical experience will help.

Do you have extra time and money to spend on this cycle? If so, I think you can do well given you interview well.

If you want to be entirely safe, save money, and are ok with waiting, get some research experience and apply later. Do note, though, the research likely isn't what your schools are looking for. It's not going to help you with the schools you interviewed at. Research-focused schools would screen you with no research; non-research schools wouldn't. Since you interviewed, I don't think you really need the research.

What would I do? Crack down on your interviewing skills. Practice, practice, practice. Learn to be a bit more social.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m currently in a situation where I never received an acceptance this cycle, save for a couple waitlists that may come to fruition.

EC’s:

Would it be in my best interest to try and apply again this cycle? I received about 3 interviews. 1 rejection and 2 waitlists. I’m currently working a full-time clinical-oriented job at the hospital, and have been for the entirety of this gap year. In the meantime, should I continue this job, and take some coursework, or try and get a research-oriented job? I realize the lack of research experience may have been part of the reason for such a lack of acceptances.
What was your school list, and where were you interviewed?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends. You have 3 interviews so clearly you don't have a problem there. You can work on interview skills heavily and focus there. Your clinical experience will help.

Do you have extra time and money to spend on this cycle? If so, I think you can do well given you interview well.

If you want to be entirely safe, save money, and are ok with waiting, get some research experience and apply later. Do note, though, the research likely isn't what your schools are looking for. It's not going to help you with the schools you interviewed at. Research-focused schools would screen you with no research; non-research schools wouldn't. Since you interviewed, I don't think you really need the research.

What would I do? Crack down on your interviewing skills. Practice, practice, practice. Learn to be a bit more social.

I hear you. From what it looks like, it really does look like I’m flunking the interviews. I’m not certain what is potentially causing the issue. I have worked sales jobs before, and have been told by several others that I’m pretty good with people. Maybe I’m just imploding during the interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am in a similar situation. Interviewed 1 MD and 2 DO and waitlisted at all three. Haven't added a whole lot of ECs outside of an extra volunteer medical mission, more clinical work experience and will be finishing my EMT. Cum GPA is 3.2 with a 3.95 Post bacc in Ochem, biochem, cell bio and genetics and a 515 MCAT. I applied very late last cycle (Pushing deadlines) and cannot decide if waiting a year to add more volunteer/shadowing

Reactions: 1 users
I am in a similar situation. Interviewed 1 MD and 2 DO and waitlisted at all three. Haven't added a whole lot of ECs outside of an extra volunteer medical mission, more clinical work experience and will be finishing my EMT. Cum GPA is 3.2 with a 3.95 Post bacc in Ochem, biochem, cell bio and genetics and a 515 MCAT. I applied very late last cycle (Pushing deadlines) and cannot decide if waiting a year to add more volunteer/shadowing

Apply early / get feedback on your school list on the WAMC forums unless you have a serious clinical deficit

Apply early / get feedback on your school list on the WAMC forums unless you have a serious clinical deficit
I don't have a serious clinical deficit. I have worked 30-40 hours/wk for 1.5 years as an EKG Tech (direct patient exposure). My deficiencies would be volunteer (~120 hours on 2 medical missions) and GPA I think

Jeez you were pushing deadlines? Meaning you did not send secondaries until December-January? I am suprised you got any interviews lol. Seriously that's impressive. Apply again super early and I think you would be fine

EC’s:

Did any of your volunteer experiences involve serving the indigent? If not, this was probably the issue.

Jeez you were pushing deadlines? Meaning you did not send secondaries until December-January? I am suprised you got any interviews lol. Seriously that's impressive. Apply again super early and I think you would be fine

The MD school I got an interview at was the first school I applied to and was submitted within reason. I think October. The rest of the MD schools were later than that probably Nov. Dec. but no interviews. The DO schools were all submitted like right before deadline (mid March) and I got invites at all of them.

Thinking I will reapply to more schools and hopefully be in months earlier. Thanks for the reply!

Did any of your volunteer experiences involve serving the indigent? If not, this was probably the issue.

It did not. Would you recommend that being the main focus I repair in my app, in that case? It would seem odd to deny an applicant because their volunteering lacked that aspect.

what was your school list like?

why do you think you didnt get an acceptance? were your letters of recs OK? we need some more info to help you out

It did not. Would you recommend that being the main focus I repair in my app, in that case? It would seem odd to deny an applicant because their volunteering lacked that aspect.

Mhmm well from your post, am I correct in saying your only volunteer experience was in the ICU? Or was the teaching also volunteering? If your only volunteer experience was in the ICU, then you definitely need non-clinical volunteering, preferably with the indigent.

There are much more qualified people on here to give advice, but if I were you, I would either do Americorps for your gap year, or do a research-oriented job and do some non-clinical volunteerism on the side like once a week (Habitat for Humanity, Soup Kitchen, etc.).

Mhmm well from your post, am I correct in saying your only volunteer experience was in the ICU? Or was the teaching also volunteering? If your only volunteer experience was in the ICU, then you definitely need non-clinical volunteering, preferably with the indigent.

There are much more qualified people on here to give advice, but if I were you, I would either do Americorps for your gap year, or do a research-oriented job and do some non-clinical volunteerism on the side like once a week (Habitat for Humanity, Soup Kitchen, etc.).

This will be my second gap year coming up, so I will definitely try and get the research down. I will also look into volunteer opportunities like that. I should be able to find something to spend my time doing.

What is the likelihood of nailing a research job when you have little to no experience?

This will be my second gap year coming up, so I will definitely try and get the research down. I will also look into volunteer opportunities like that. I should be able to find something to spend my time doing.

What is the likelihood of nailing a research job when you have little to no experience?

Research is a remarkably low yield activity, not having much shouldn't hold you back. You would be much better served finding a clinical job and doing non-clinical volunteer.