Should I apply before my mcat scores come in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

Should I apply before my mcat score comes in or after? I’m thinking of taking mcat mid or late May.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly if you wait or dont, you should be fine because if you wait you will still be sending it by late june which is early. but if you feel you killed your mcat then by all means apply as soon as that june date hits!

Honestly if you wait or dont, you should be fine because if you wait you will still be sending it by late june which is early. but if you feel you killed your mcat then by all means apply as soon as that june date hits!
But what about the verification process length?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's better to apply after getting scores. You aren't going to gain much since you're still pretty early in the cycle regardless.
What you can do is start writing secondaries you find on here of schools you're interested in applying to to expedite the process.
But see what your score is before ultimately applying. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Technically, you can submit your primary application to AMCAS for verification without an MCAT score. If you want to get verified ASAP and submit primaries and secondary apps early, then you could do this, especially if you're confident you'll get the scores you want/expect.

However, the most prudent course of action is to submit your app after you know your scores, just to make sure it's worth the submission.

If you take the MCAT mid/late May and decide to wait until your score is released to submit AMCAS, then you will push your submission dates further and submit later. You'll receive your scores mid/late June, submit AMCAS at that time to get verified probably until late July, so you can send primaries to schools at that time and receive, fill, and submit secondaries hopefully before September.You should still be fine as long as you complete and submit those secondaries fast. As @workaholic181 pointed out, it's a good idea to pre-write secondaries for schools you might be interested in.

Technically, you can submit your primary application to AMCAS for verification without an MCAT score. If you want to get verified ASAP and submit primaries and secondary apps early, then you could do this, especially if you're confident you'll get the scores you want/expect.

However, the most prudent course of action is to submit your app after you know your scores, just to make sure it's worth the submission.

If you take the MCAT mid/late May and decide to wait until your score is released to submit AMCAS, then you will push your submission dates further and submit later. You'll receive your scores mid/late June, submit AMCAS at that time to get verified probably until late July, so you can send primaries to schools at that time and receive, fill, and submit secondaries hopefully before September.You should still be fine as long as you complete and submit those secondaries fast. As @workaholic181 pointed out, it's a good idea to pre-write secondaries for schools you might be interested in.
How do I prewrite secondaries without knowing my mcat score like after mcat score than I will have a better idea about what schools to focus on. When should I begin prewriting secondaries?

In order to do this, you just apply to at least one school. The general consensus is to apply to a throwaway school that you wouldn’t care about being rejected from in case you get your score back and need to sit out a cycle.

That said, verification times at the end of June are around 3-4 weeks. That puts you at getting transmitted to schools around the end of July which is early.

You'll receive your score back in plenty of time to be able to apply super earl (Which you should do)