Should I apply even though it's late in the cycle (High MCAT Low GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I apply this cycle?

• Yes

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 32 76.2%

• Total voters

cander67

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT scores on Tuesday and I ended up doing better than I expected (518/129/129/131/129). I was planning on applying next cycle just to make sure I had plenty of time to gather good letters of recommendation and continue to work on my EC's. However, talking with my family everyone seems to think I should try to get letters of recommendation and apply this cycle so I don't lose another year of my life, especially since the deadline has been extended due to COVID-19. I haven't started doing AMCAS and I haven't received any letters of recommendation.
cGPA 3.6
sGPA 3.4
upward trend for both
Male ORM
150 hours research
250 hours clinical volunteering (Spanish Interpretation in free clinic)
250 hours non-clinical volunteering
25 hours shadowing ER doc
Should I just wait until the next cycle or should I rush to get my application verified and get my LOR's?
Graduating in December

Members don't see this ad.

With no LORs or processing on your AMCAS you're looking at late October or early November to be complete at schools. That's pretty late and in my opinion I would wait until next cycle to be prepared and submit your application early. Maybe you could submit an application to your state school if they're not too competitive and a 518 is above their median or 75th %ile.

Reactions: 1 users
Any application this cycle will most likely be a monetary donation to the school’s admissions department. Save the money, don’t rush and end up with a poor application just because your family is pressuring you. I took 6 gap years, 1 will not ruin your life.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait until next year. With your stats you'll do fine. Consider this year a gift to do all the things you want to do before starting medical school, and all the things you want to bolster your application, give your letter writers lots of time and notice, and have a relatively relaxed application cycle next year. I took like a gap decade before applying this cycle. I promise you, it's only a wasted year if you waste it. Don't waste it. Have fun!

Reactions: 2 users
Any application this cycle will most likely be a monetary donation to the school’s admissions department. Save the money, don’t rush and end up with a poor application just because your family is pressuring you. I took 6 gap years, 1 will not ruin your life.

Can you elaborate? What’s wrong with applying this cycle?

I just got my MCAT scores on Tuesday and I ended up doing better than I expected (518/129/129/131/129). I was planning on applying next cycle just to make sure I had plenty of time to gather good letters of recommendation and continue to work on my EC's. However, talking with my family everyone seems to think I should try to get letters of recommendation and apply this cycle so I don't lose another year of my life, especially since the deadline has been extended due to COVID-19. I haven't started doing AMCAS and I haven't received any letters of recommendation.
cGPA 3.6
sGPA 3.4
upward trend for both
Male ORM
150 hours research
250 hours clinical volunteering (Spanish Interpretation in free clinic)
250 hours non-clinical volunteering
25 hours shadowing ER doc
Should I just wait until the next cycle or should I rush to get my application verified and get my LOR's?
Graduating in December
You're in a hole timewise, and so MD, it's too late.

You're fine for DO and as a reinventor, you need to have some of them on your list. This means taking a chance on MD next year and losing a year's attending's salary, BTW. Yes, we know that MD opens more doors.

What were your year by years GPAs?

Can you elaborate? What’s wrong with applying this cycle?
All the fees you have to pay to the schools will just go in the pockets of the administration, and they will likely never offer you an interview. Your application will likely not be complete at this point until after most programs have half their class already filled, and the majority of their interviews already offered.

Reactions: 1 users
You're in a hole timewise, and so MD, it's too late.

You're fine for DO and as a reinventor, you need to have some of them on your list. This means taking a chance on MD next year and losing a year's attending's salary, BTW. Yes, we know that MD opens more doors.

What were your year by years GPAs?
@Goro
High school dual enrollment 3.3
1st year 3.7
2nd year 3.5
3rd year 3.4
4th year 3.9
5th year Currently in my final semester. I feel like I've figured out how to be a good student and I should be able to replicate 3.8-4.0

@Goro
High school dual enrollment 3.3
1st year 3.7
2nd year 3.5
3rd year 3.4
4th year 3.9
5th year Currently in my final semester. I feel like I've figured out how to be a good student and I should be able to replicate 3.8-4.0
Hmmm...you have a deep U-shaped GPA trend, so do well in the fifth year!

@Goro For sure! I've found my passion for medicine now. The low part of the U was when I was seriously contemplating other careers. I'm hoping that ADCOMS will see my 4th and 5th year along with my MCAT to see that I'm a different person now.

@Goro For sure! I've found my passion for medicine now. The low part of the U was when I was seriously contemplating other careers. I'm hoping that ADCOMS will see my 4th and 5th year along with my MCAT to see that I'm a different person now.
There are plenty of MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention.

Reactions: 1 user
There are plenty of MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention.
@Goro
That's great to hear! Thanks Goro. While we are on the subject how does this school list look for next year?
Arizona Resident
- Arizona-Tucson
- Arizona-Phoenix
- Utah
- VCU
- EVMS
- NYMC
- Albany
- Wake
- Drexel
- Temple
- Miami Florida
- Iowa
- Emory
- Jefferson
- Creighton
- SLU
- Western Michigan
- Penn State
- Tufts
- Seton Hall
- TCU/UNT
- USF-Morsani
- Tulane
- Nova
- USU
- Wayne State
- Rush
- Loyola
- RFU
- MCW
- Quinnipiac Netter
- GWU
- Georgetown
- Vermont
-Colorado

DO Schools
AT-Still SOMA
Midwestern Arizona
Western California
LECOM Bradenton
NYITCOM

Last edited:
All the fees you have to pay to the schools will just go in the pockets of the administration, and they will likely never offer you an interview. Your application will likely not be complete at this point until after most programs have half their class already filled, and the majority of their interviews already offered.

I understand the monetary donation bit. I just misunderstood the context and thought you were saying it was a waste for anyone to apply this cycle.

thanks

I understand the monetary donation bit. I just misunderstood the context and thought you were saying it was a waste for anyone to apply this cycle.

thanks
It is likely a waste for anyone to apply *at this time* during the cycle.