should i apply for a SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior with a 3.8 GPA at a big ten school, but my MCAT is a 28. I've applied to medical schools but haven't heard back too much yet. I'm wondering if you think it would be wise to apply to a SMP program with the hopes of getting into a medical school afterwards (for example, Loyola guarantees you an interview), or should I work at a hospital for a year to get more exposure and take the MCAT once more, then re-apply. My 28 is my 2nd MCAT score, so it's possible that the third time would be better. Or, are these programs mainly for students with a low GPA who would have gotten in with their MCAT score? Basically, would good grades from a SMP make me look that much better, or would a new MCAT do it for me? Thoughts? Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

No. SMPs are generally for people with low GPAs and high MCAT scores. If you don't speak english as a first language, and absolutely can't get that MCAT any higher than it's gotten, then maybe. With a 28 on just your second try? No freakin way. Take a full semester off to study and take whatever formal course you haven't taken yet (TBR, EK, TPR, and Kaplan) get a 35 and go to a top 20 school.

These programs cost at least 20K, normally 60K. If you screw up they will negate that GPA you worked so hard for. Also, honestly, if you had applied earlier and more broadly and had a good PS you probably would have gotten a good number of interviews with the stats you have right now. Once again: no freaking way you should do an SMP

3.8 and 28 could be enough for your state school. If you can go a bit higher (32-33), you can go to a great school.

Don't do an SMP. It would be a stupid move on your part.

Members don't see this ad :)
the academic part of your application seems to be in order. a 3.8/28 is NOT keeping you out of med school. SMPs are designed for people with low GPAs. you need to look at other areas of your application to see where your weaknesses lie.

it could be that you did not apply early and boardly enough. if you applied late and/or to only very very selective schools, it could be the reason why you aren't hearing anything back.

in any case, i would definitely advise against an SMP. it won't help you.

Is there an SMP type program for the DATs? You know people with high DAT score but low GPA? I feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel for me. Please help me!!!