Should I apply next cycle? (GPA went down, unsure about PhD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolatelove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, thanks for opening this thread.

For the first time in my life, I feel like I have failed in my academics seeing my GPA drop from a 3.73 to a 3.66 (science GPA 3.80 to a 3.68) when I'm just about to apply to medical school. I didn't manage my time well, and overall was unmotivated, unfocused, and a bit worn out from preparing for the April MCAT.

Additionally, I've struggled with tremendous pressure from my parents to go to medical school. I've always felt some resistance to them being the ones who decided my path, instead of letting me explore without emotional baggage. Seeing myself struggle through this semester and produce unfruitful results really woke me up, and I realized that I can no longer afford to continue blaming my parents.

At this point, I am wondering whether I should apply next cycle so that I can raise my GPA for a better chance at top tier schools. I am also interested in the MD/PhD MSTP programs, but I'm just starting independent research this summer. I see myself doing a lot of research in my career, however, and would appreciate the gap year to collect and prepare myself for medical training. To me, it makes a lot of sense.

Thank you for your help and support.

Members don't see this ad.

3.66, 3.68 is not a failure. You still have a good shot at mid-tier and a decent chance at top medical schools depending on how you did on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You sound like you feel rushed to apply.

Applying in a hurry when you aren't ready mentally and academically (although your grades are fine) is never a good idea. You should really believe in the profile/application that you are bringing to the table. Take the time you need to invest in that application. Med schools aren't going anywhere and your application will be stronger after an additional productive year.

Reactions: 1 users
Why the GPA drop? Bunch of Bs? 2 Fs?
I got 3 Bs.

3.66, 3.68 is not a failure. You still have a good shot at mid-tier and a decent chance at top medical schools depending on how you did on the MCAT.
I got a 518 on the MCAT.

You sound like you feel rushed to apply.

Applying in a hurry when you aren't ready mentally and academically (although your grades are fine) is never a good idea. You should really believe in the profile/application that you are bringing to the table. Take the time you need to invest in that application. Med schools aren't going anywhere and your application will be stronger after an additional productive year.
Thanks for your input. I agree that I feel slightly rushed. I feel like I wasted so much time being a "fake" pre-med just because my parents wanted me to. Now I'm a rising senior and I have to take responsibility for that. I am interested in medicine and research, but I'm not sure if I'm as interested/motivated as other applicants.

I got 3 Bs.

I got a 518 on the MCAT.

Thanks for your input. I agree that I feel slightly rushed. I feel like I wasted so much time being a "fake" pre-med just because my parents wanted me to. Now I'm a rising senior and I have to take responsibility for that. I am interested in medicine and research, but I'm not sure if I'm as interested/motivated as other applicants.
With your stats, you should not worry about getting into medical school. However, if the summer research is going to be your first research experience, then you will be at a huge disadvantage for MD/PhD as most successful applicants have several years of experience and worked on more than one research project.

Each person has a different reason for going into medicine and a different background. Sounds like you're more interested in the research side of medicine. Even with the slight dip your GPA, you numbers are still solid overall with a strong MCAT score.

You can still do research as an MD, but I think you may not be as competitive for MD/PHD MSTP programs because you're starting independent research relatively late. If you want to get into MD schools, you'd be fine applying this cycle given your solid numbers. If you think a year off will help with being able to do more independent research and work towards publications, then you could apply next year.

With your stats, you should not worry about getting into medical school. However, if the summer research is going to be your first research experience, then you will be at a huge disadvantage for MD/PhD as most successful applicants have several years of experience and worked on more than one research project.
Thanks for your comment. Yes, I agree that applying to MSTP programs this cycle would not make sense.

Each person has a different reason for going into medicine and a different background. Sounds like you're more interested in the research side of medicine. Even with the slight dip your GPA, you numbers are still solid overall with a strong MCAT score.

You can still do research as an MD, but I think you may not be as competitive for MD/PHD MSTP programs because you're starting independent research relatively late. If you want to get into MD schools, you'd be fine applying this cycle given your solid numbers. If you think a year off will help with being able to do more independent research and work towards publications, then you could apply next year.
Thanks for the help. Do you know how much of a penalty I'll get if I apply again next cycle to a school I don't get accepted to this cycle?

Please don't skip an app cycle because you got 3 Bs.

Take a deep breath. A 3.66/3.68 with a 518 MCAT should lead to a successful cycle for you when you do apply (providing the rest of your app is in order and you have no red flags).

However
, as others have said, if you want to go for a MSTP then I would take at least one gap year and focus on research full time. Right now you essentially have zero research experience, and that will not bode well for MD/PhD programs.

I think your bigger issue here is whether or not you truly want to go into medicine. It sounds like your parents have pushed you into this path and that you have just gone with their plans. I think before you do anything you should decide what it is you want to do. Honestly your stats aren't an issue, they are really good. If you really want to be a doc then absolutely apply this cycle, but if you aren't sure then maybe skip this cycle and spend some time trying to find out what it is you exactly want to do, especially seeing as you are starting research this year, maybe you will love it and want to pursue a PHD. Medical schools aren't going anywhere so don't feel compelled to apply this year if you aren't ready to. Goodluck!!

I think your bigger issue here is whether or not you truly want to go into medicine. It sounds like your parents have pushed you into this path and that you have just gone with their plans. I think before you do anything you should decide what it is you want to do. Honestly your stats aren't an issue, they are really good. If you really want to be a doc then absolutely apply this cycle, but if you aren't sure then maybe skip this cycle and spend some time trying to find out what it is you exactly want to do, especially seeing as you are starting research this year, maybe you will love it and want to pursue a PHD. Medical schools aren't going anywhere so don't feel compelled to apply this year if you aren't ready to. Goodluck!!
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I completely agree with you, and I hate feeling time pressure due to my family's financial situation. The sooner I get a degree the better. My choice really boils down to whether I start one year earlier for my parents' sake, or take a year to have a chance at an MSTP program and build an application I can be more proud of. I guess it's my job to choose one.

My choice really boils down to whether I start one year earlier for my parents' sake, or take a year to have a chance at an MSTP program and build an application I can be more proud of. I guess it's my job to choose one.

From what you're saying it sounds like you would prefer to take the additional year off to strengthen your research and apply to MSTP programs. Perfectly fine choice.

To answer your other question, some schools that you're a reapplicant at will scrutinize your application more closely if you didn't get in during the first cycle. As long as you've made significant improvements, then it's not as big of a deal. But schools you don't apply during the first cycle will not see that you are a reapplicant. It's better to apply once when you are ready and give it your best shot.