Should I Apply Now or Wait a Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allison1990

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a nursing student and after much discussion/ shadowing/ talking to people etc. decided I would prefer to go for the MD route instead of the nurse practitioner route. I have a majority of the pre-med requirements, but I am missing two classes- Physics II and Ochem II. Because I intend to finish my nursing degree, I will not be able to take them before applying to medical school, but I could take them before attending medical school. Should I go ahead, take the MCAT, and apply to medical school if I know for sure that is my end goal, or should I wait another year to apply?
My stats are that I got a 4.00 at a large public university in their honors program, have lots of research but most of it is psychology research (not biomedical really), tons of volunteering/ leadership in clubs, and a good bit of clinical experience because I am finishing nursing school... I will probably end with a 3.95ish at one of the top ten nursing schools, and then I plan to work as a nurse while applying to medical schools.
Any advice at all would be much appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

With this new mcat honestly theres not much Ochem 2 on there and just a little physics 2 on there. I only had 1 physics 2 question. The real question is what are your mcat practice scores. If you are scoring 508+ I say go for it but if your answer is "I haven't taken any", then no. And you will have to apply DO if you apply this cycle, it'll be far to late for MD apps. Since you haven't worked as a nurse for x amount of years, you will need to really really explain why you took that seat and changed your mind. Be prepared for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What?! That's insane.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It helped me lol even tho I spent months doing circuit and magnetism problems. I had more amino acid questions than physics 2 in the physical sciences section.

Reactions: 1 user
With this new mcat honestly theres not much Ochem 2 on there and just a little physics 2 on there. I only had 1 physics 2 question. The real question is what are your mcat practice scores. If you are scoring 508+ I say go for it but if your answer is "I haven't taken any", then no. And you will have to apply DO if you apply this cycle, it'll be far to late for MD apps. Since you haven't worked as a nurse for x amount of years, you will need to really really explain why you took that seat and changed your mind. Be prepared for that.
I'd apply to hopefully begin in 2018 (definitely not this cycle), but I'd have to take the MCAT this semester hopefully... Thanks for your advice!!! I appreciate it!