Should I apply this cycle or next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankpak786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma, I was initially applying to 8-10 schools in the New York Tri-State area but when I purchased and read through the ADEA book, I realized I fell short GPA-wise in a lot of schools!

oGPA: 3.50
sGPA: 3.20

I have good EC, volunteering, shadowing hours all done, good LoR, and am planning on taking the DAT in late-August; submitting my application then as well.

I realize I should get 20+ on every section, and hopefully will do so...

but do I realistically even have a chance this cycle? I haven't even finished up physics or taken any upper-level sciences, just the minimum required. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Taking the DAT in late-August is somewhat late, especially for someone with a below average sGPA. Anyway to take it earlier, say early July? If you do, I'd say you have a decent chance considering everything else in your application is good. I would probably apply to a few more schools as well if you were to apply with those stats.

Taking the DAT in late-August is somewhat late, especially for someone with a below average sGPA. Anyway to take it earlier, say early July? If you do, I'd say you have a decent chance considering everything else in your application is good. I would probably apply to a few more schools as well if you were to apply with those stats.
I'm taking a review course which ends in mid-August.

Members don't see this ad :)
I (and many others) would advise against taking a review course. There are plenty of great resources out there that are better than review courses, and they are much cheaper too.

Reactions: 1 users
I (and many others) would advise against taking a review course. There are plenty of great resources out there that are better than review courses, and they are much cheaper too.
Probably true.. but I think I'll feel more put together and focused in a review course, having a proper schedule, good instructor, assignments etc.

OH, btw, does it look bad re-applying?!

I feel like I should give it a shot and apply this year but God forbid if I don't make it, does it look really to apply again? Would it be wise to just wait out one year?

OH, btw, does it look bad re-applying?!

I feel like I should give it a shot and apply this year but God forbid if I don't make it, does it look really to apply again? Would it be wise to just wait out one year?

Only looks bad if you don't improve your application from one cycle to another.

Only looks bad if you don't improve your application from one cycle to another.
Thanks!

I'm def. going to be applying this cycle, if I don't get in, most likely stick around for a 5th year and take upper-level sciences, and then re-apply in the meantime.

I'm going to reaffirm what GJMeig said - if you're taking the DAT in late August, I don't think applying this cycle is a good idea (unless you have a few extra thousand dollars to spend). Let's say you take the DAT the 3rd week of August; it takes 3 weeks for the scores to be uploaded to AADSAS, so your application won't be complete until mid September. Some schools even have cut-offs where your application will no longer be considered this late (ex: Ohio State and University of Tennessee). I won't say you can't get in if your AADSAS is completed this late... but you're drastically reducing your chances of scoring pre-Dec interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to reaffirm what GJMeig said - if you're taking the DAT in late August, I don't think applying this cycle is a good idea (unless you have a few extra thousand dollars to spend). Let's say you take the DAT the 3rd week of August; it takes 3 weeks for the scores to be uploaded to AADSAS, so your application won't be complete until mid September. Some schools even have cut-offs where your application will no longer be considered this late (ex: Ohio State and University of Tennessee). I won't say you can't get in if your AADSAS is completed this late... but you're drastically reducing your chances of scoring pre-Dec interviews.
You're right, I forgot about the processing time. I spoke to the dean at NYU, she told me that in a worst case scenario, I can bring her the scores just so they have record that I took the exam and scores will be officially uploaded. Ofc that's only one school.. and you're right, I should consider applying next year. *sigh* I just hate the fact that I won't be getting in directly after undergrad. I'm taking some dude named Orgoman, he's a DAT prep instructor.

I hope to get a 22+ on everything, I'll feel much more confident

You're right, I forgot about the processing time. I spoke to the dean at NYU, she told me that in a worst case scenario, I can bring her the scores just so they have record that I took the exam and scores will be officially uploaded. Ofc that's only one school.. and you're right, I should consider applying next year. *sigh* I just hate the fact that I won't be getting in directly after undergrad. I'm taking some dude named Orgoman, he's a DAT prep instructor.

I hope to get a 22+ on everything, I'll feel much more confident

Sorry for the late response, haven't been on SDN. If you really want in this cycle, just try doing the DAT earlier - maybe at the end of June (order your study materials now). I know you think you'll do better with the course, but you should keep an open mind. Here's what you should consider:

1. Ordering other study materials outside of the course can only help you. You might find out these are all you really need for preparation

2. If you take the DAT early and don't get the scores you want, you can still take the course

3. If you take the DAT early and do well enough, you won't have to take the course, and save $1000+ now, and $1000+ by not having to apply for 2 cycles

4. You're going to have to learn to appropriate time for studying. If not now, you will in dental school; they aren't going to give you assignments to keep you on track, it will just be expected that you need to study for the tests. The DAT is the same way, so think of it like you would a normal test you need to study for

5. You have NOTHING TO LOSE by taking the test early - you're not giving yourself any credibility in your studying ability. It might make the difference between getting into DS next cycle VS having to sit out a year.

Regardless of what you decide, best of luck - hope you get in next cycle.

You should apply for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust us when we all say this, DON'T TAKE THE COURSE!

I did and it was a giant waste of money. None of them properly prepare you for the test in my opinion.

I second what @wengerout. TBH I wasted 1.5k for a course that didnt even prepare me for the DAT. Not only were they skimming the surface, but gave us false hopes by teaching us techniques that the dental association picked up on and made sure that we cannot use it anymore (i.e. event/line counting or whatever they used to call it). That is ridiculous imo... If you want a study schedule then use ari or the one that dental works uploaded (Sample DAT study schedule).

Let me tell you that i WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN a 23 AA, 24 TS and most importantly a 24 PAT if i used the prep companies that are advertised in the mainstream sources... Sad me is sad for losing potential investing money.. Oh well.

Last but certainly not least, there are much much more valuable resources that are CHEAPER or FREE like godly bio notes that the legend @FeralisExtremum made.

If you have more questions just reply to this or send me a PM, i'd be more than happy to help you.

You guys do realize this post is from 2014 right? ._.

Reactions: 3 users
I second what @wengerout. TBH I wasted 1.5k for a course that didnt even prepare me for the DAT. Not only were they skimming the surface, but gave us false hopes by teaching us techniques that the dental association picked up on and made sure that we cannot use it anymore (i.e. event/line counting or whatever they used to call it). That is ridiculous imo... If you want a study schedule then use ari or the one that dental works uploaded (Sample DAT study schedule).

Let me tell you that i WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN a 23 AA, 24 TS and most importantly a 24 PAT if i used the prep companies that are advertised in the mainstream sources... Sad me is sad for losing potential investing money.. Oh well.

Last but certainly not least, there are much much more valuable resources that are CHEAPER or FREE like godly bio notes that the legend @FeralisExtremum made.

If you have more questions just reply to this or send me a PM, i'd be more than happy to help you.

Yup exact situation I was in. I managed to get $300 off the course but that is still $1200 I could have put towards much better use. In the entire course I learned one helpful formula that I wouldn't have known about otherwise for Gen Chem. Was that formula worth $1200? No. My DAT scores are all due to Bootcamp, Chad's, Destroyer, and Feralis. Use these and commit to them and you can't go wrong OP.

Yup exact situation I was in. I managed to get $300 off the course but that is still $1200 I could have put towards much better use. In the entire course I learned one helpful formula that I wouldn't have known about otherwise for Gen Chem. Was that formula worth $1200? No. My DAT scores are all due to Bootcamp, Chad's, Destroyer, and Feralis. Use these and commit to them and you can't go wrong OP.
Don't leave me hanging here! What was the $1200 formula?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Don't leave me hanging here! What was the $1200 formula?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

lol I barely remember it, been nearly a year since I took the DAT. If I recall correctly it was just an alternative formula for managing exponents, logs, etc. (Big issue for gen chem since you don't have a calculator). Chad's method works just fine though!

LOL... thanks for the advice, nearly 3 years later. :laugh:
FYI: I ended up taking the course, getting close a 24 on the orgo section--my highest. I do recommend the course, actually, to pre-dental students I meet.

But anywho, happy to say I'm a rising D3 student, and I literally got a 4.0 this past Spring semester.
635879706400844922317126527_Nwc9fGvgEnzm6z71XMtCpAV3o1_500_1.png

FYI: I ended up taking the course, getting close a 24 on the orgo section--my highest. I do recommend the course, actually, to pre-dental students I meet.

But anywho, happy to say I'm a rising D3 student, and I literally got a 4.0 this past Spring semester.
It's always nice to hear back from someone knowing that it all worked out in the end :)

YO nice dude.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, guys! Hope everyone is successful in their dental endeavors. WE GOT THIS.