Should I apply this cycle or wait another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paintbucketgreen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm really stuck on what i should do this year for my med school apps. I'm a 4th year at UC Irvine, CA resident. Ideally I would like to apply this year to everywhere and see what happens. But my family members have been telling me I should think about waiting another year to apply if I feel my application is not at its strongest right now. My dilemma is this:

- Basically did not start preparing seriously for my MCAT until a few days ago. Supposed to take it latest June 16th
- my cGPA/sGPA would be a high 3.3 on verified primaries (strong upward trend). It would reach ~3.44 cGPA and ~3.46 sGPA after spring and some summer classes, which I could update schools with.

My gpa is low because I screwed up and did not try, not because it was difficult for me. I am able to understand the MCAT concepts well, I just need A LOT of practice. I'm worried that if I try to cram all my MCAT studying into 3 months, I will only get an average score. With my low GPA, I feel that I need a stellar score on my MCAT to balance that out. This might sound a little ridiculous to some, but I feel confident that I am capable of reaching a 515 if I put my mind to it(start now and review all throughout summer for Sept. exam). I think I have a decently solid application in terms of ECs, LORs, etc. My GPA is my weakest point, and my MCAT would be a big question mark if I verify early and wait for scores to upload for secondary submissions. (scores would be out July 17th, I would submit same day granted I do well)

Applying now (one gap year) would let me see if I maybe could have a shot at an MD school with my current GPA and (hopefully?) good MCAT score with 3 months of studying. If I were to by some miracle get in somewhere, that would be amazing because I get to be on my way one year earlier than planned and would not have to take a post- bacc. If I take the 2 gap years, I plan to do a post bacc during my second year.

Should I study for the June 16th test as best as I can, get apps ready, and see what happens with my score and take a shot this cycle (risk being a re-applicant)? Or should I wait, take my time to study for Sept. exam, and take the two gap years?

Sorry for the long post! Any advice is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

You would be better to wait a year if you are only interested in MD schools. You would be fine for DO schools this coming cycle if your MCAT is over 500. In the coming year work on increasing your GPA. Do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are over 507 if you are interested in MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Take another gap year. You want to be able to devote several months to MCAT prep without worrying about needing to prep AMCAS at the same time--both will suffer if you do. Is it too late to apply for a postbac to start in the fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take another gap year. You want to be able to devote several months to MCAT prep without worrying about needing to prep AMCAS at the same time--both will suffer if you do. Is it too late to apply for a postbac to start in the fall?

unfortunately, it is. however, I figured regardless if I took 2 gap years, one would be focused on post-bacc and one would be focused on clinical job/shadowing/volunteering etc. I figured there could be pros to either order. But if I were to do 2nd year post-bacc, would I be at any disadvantage if I have to be updating my post-bacc grades to MD schools as they come in? I could at least write on my primary that I have been accepted to a program and will be starting in the fall though (correct me if I'm wrong)

unfortunately, it is. however, I figured regardless if I took 2 gap years, one would be focused on post-bacc and one would be focused on clinical job/shadowing/volunteering etc. I figured there could be pros to either order. But if I were to do 2nd year post-bacc, would I be at any disadvantage if I have to be updating my post-bacc grades to MD schools as they come in? I could at least write on my primary that I have been accepted to a program and will be starting in the fall though (correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't think it'd do you much good if your GPA is the same when you apply since that's all they'd see at the start? But I'm not sure. Why not just apply broadly to MD and DO schools? Are you only interested in MD? I think 3 months is usually the perfect amount of time for MCAT prep if you study properly. If you decide to wait you could try doing a do it yourself post bacc first year so you can show that GPA on the application.

The purpose of a postbac is to show medical schools that you are capable of getting great grades in high level courses. Your current plan does not allow you to do that. You need to show med schools your grades at the end of your first gap year. Saying you're doing a postbac at that time means absolutely nothing because they won't have any idea how you'll perform until at least December (6 months after you'd submit your application in June). The vast majority of interview invites have already been handed out by December, so you're not helping yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
The purpose of a postbac is to show medical schools that you are capable of getting great grades in high level courses. Your current plan does not allow you to do that. You need to show med schools your grades at the end of your first gap year. Saying you're doing a postbac at that time means absolutely nothing because they won't have any idea how you'll perform until at least December (6 months after you'd submit your application in June). The vast majority of interview invites have already been handed out by December, so you're not helping yourself.

Do you have any advice on what the best plan would be for someone in my situation at this point? There aren’t many open applications left for formal programs for this coming year. What about a DIY post-bacc? Doing that vs a formal program would not look any different would it? As long as I take rigorous courses if I go the DIY route correct?

I don't think it'd do you much good if your GPA is the same when you apply since that's all they'd see at the start? But I'm not sure. Why not just apply broadly to MD and DO schools? Are you only interested in MD? I think 3 months is usually the perfect amount of time for MCAT prep if you study properly. If you decide to wait you could try doing a do it yourself post bacc first year so you can show that GPA on the application.

How would a DIY post bacc work exactly? I just take courses after graduation at any local college/university?

How would a DIY post bacc work exactly? I just take courses after graduation at any local college/university?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. They'd also factor into your normal gpa since it won't be a masters program I believe? But I'm just repeating stuff I've seen on other threads not actually sure on the details

Do you think there would be an adverse impact to your GPA if you divert a lot of study time to MCAT prep?

Between the two options, if you have a strong upward GPA trend now and then 'blow it' with a weak semester, your GPA hole becomes that much deeper. A sustained strong semester GPA would give you how many good semesters? (I'd want to see at least four in a row)

My suggestions are the following:
  1. First priority - your GPA. A weak finish undermines everything you are trying to achieve.
  2. Next - MCAT. You need a strong score and if you can get that 515, that score plus an upward trend should be able to get you where you want to go. Use your practice tests wisely and do NOT take the MCAT until you are happy with your practice scores. When you get that good MCAT score is less important. If it's June - great! But a 505 in June and a 3.3 to 3.4 GPA is competitive for DO only. Make sure you're OK with that before taking the actions that put you on this course.
  3. You might want to consider doing a DIY post-bac to raise your GPA and study for the MCAT at the same time. If things are going 'only OK', this would be a prudent course of action.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think there would be an adverse impact to your GPA if you divert a lot of study time to MCAT prep?

Between the two options, if you have a strong upward GPA trend now and then 'blow it' with a weak semester, your GPA hole becomes that much deeper. A sustained strong semester GPA would give you how many good semesters? (I'd want to see at least four in a row)

My suggestions are the following:
  1. First priority - your GPA. A weak finish undermines everything you are trying to achieve.
  2. Next - MCAT. You need a strong score and if you can get that 515, that score plus an upward trend should be able to get you where you want to go. Use your practice tests wisely and do NOT take the MCAT until you are happy with your practice scores. When you get that good MCAT score is less important. If it's June - great! But a 505 in June and a 3.3 to 3.4 GPA is competitive for DO only. Make sure you're OK with that before taking the actions that put you on this course.
  3. You might want to consider doing a DIY post-bac to raise your GPA and study for the MCAT at the same time. If things are going 'only OK', this would be a prudent course of action.

Thank you for the solid advice :) I’m going to continue studying as best as I can for the MCAT in the meantime and see how my practice scores turn out, then base my final decision on that. As far as my GPA, the studying would definitely not get in the way. If anything, I see it as the opposite, usually my classwork takes study time away from my mcat. My school is on the quarter system but my last quarter of junior year I got all As and one B+, and first quarter senior year all As (one pesky A-), this current quarter I’m headed for the straight As and I’m confident I can pull off the same for my final quarter in spring. Only thing is if I apply this cycle I need to request transcripts early, so my 4th quarter of upward trend would not show up on my primary application.

If I did a DIY post bacc, does that factor into undergraduate GPA, or would I list it as a separate, post-graduation GPA?

If it's not part of a master's program, it'll count toward your overall undergraduate GPA (though split off, as other quarters are), one of the key advantages of doing it that way.