This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denture base maker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:
I am an international student(Asian). I do not know should I apply this cycle or not, my EC is not good.
I am from OSU, honor standing, third-year biochemistry major.
These are my stat:
sGPA:3.90
oGPA:3.90
DAT: Not confirmed by aadsas yet, so I do not want to show exact score, I just show the range
if nothing unexpected happen:
AA >24
TS>24
PAT>24
No section lower than 23
Volunteer: 87 hr at university hospital(1 year)
40 hr peer mentor(1 year)
I have four short-term service trips(1-2weeks), if each trip count as 30 hr, I have 120 hr
Shadowing: In iU.S:currently have 60hr(1 GPR,1 endo), but I will get 40+hr by the end of the June.
I have ~60hr shadowing in my country, is that count?
Employment: ~(200 hr)2 semester TA for gen chem
1000+ hr working on campus as a student manager(non-dentistry related, I am not authorized to work off-campus)
Research: 1000+ hr(two years) research experience: get involved in 3 labs, currently have 2 presentations, working on a publication.
Other EC: pre-dent club, just a member
president of a small book club
member of kendo club
Mortar Board Honor Society

I am worrying about my EC, I haven't submitted my application yet. Should I wait for another year and get more shadowing/volunteer hours, or just apply this cycle? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

your stats are excellent. I would say apply right away and just volunteer/shadow etc everyday if possible and you will get hours in couple weeks and put that in your app.
Just update your schools as you get more hours.

It will be already the middle of July when I finish the shadowing. Is it considered as a late application?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, it isn't late. You are a competitive applicant so you should not worry about anything else as long as you stick to your plan.

Could anyone give me suggestion which school should I apply? Especially International student friendly school.
Now I just have BU, Case West on my list

Did you do your undergrad in the US?

VCU has quite a few international students.

I would say focus on private schools that you like/are more affordable. You can do a few state schools but research if they receive internationals. The advice I got from other fellow internationals was you'll have the best chance at a private school because you are treated more or less as US citizens

Nice. International student here too