Should I apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Flyeaglesfly

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just took my MCAT the last day possible for this year (Aug 10.) and received my score two days ago. I thought I bombed it so I did not prepare my application but ended up getting a 35R (11P 11V R 13B). My gpa is on the low side with both science and cumulative hovering around a 3.55. I won't have strong letters of rec because I go to a very large prestigious public school and honestly do not learn at all in office hours. I have limited research experience and my clinical experience is limited to working on medical missions (I'm president of a group that does this sort of thing so I've logged significant hours doing that at least.) What do you say my chances are, if I send my primary application in a couple of days? I'm a 5th year at my university and don't really have plans to take another year off... but I feel that DO schools and Caribbean schools are not right for me. So SDN any advice?
 
I just took my MCAT the last day possible for this year (Aug 10.) and received my score two days ago. I thought I bombed it so I did not prepare my application but ended up getting a 35R (11P 11V R 13B). My gpa is on the low side with both science and cumulative hovering around a 3.55. I won't have strong letters of rec because I go to a very large prestigious public school and honestly do not learn at all in office hours.I have limited research experience and my clinical experience is limited to working on medical missions (I'm president of a group that does this sort of thing so I've logged significant hours doing that at least.) What do you say my chances are, if I send my primary application in a couple of days? I'm a 5th year at my university and don't really have plans to take another year off... but I feel that DO schools and Caribbean schools are not right for me. So SDN any advice?
Definitely do NOT apply, for the reasons bolded above

You need clinical exposure in the US through shadowing at the very minimum.

How much time on medical missions are you talking about?
 
Definitely do NOT apply, for the reasons bolded above

You need clinical exposure in the US through shadowing at the very minimum.

How much time on medical missions are you talking about?

I was in the same situation regarding clinical experience.

So, speaking from my perspective, do not apply until you have racked up more hospital time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not preparing your application was a huge mistake, that will probably cost you another year.

You sound competitive to me, though applying this late, rushing through your application, using weak letter of rec, rushing through secondaries then waiting till feb to schedule some late interviews isn't exactly the recipe for success.

Your GPA and MCAT as well as experiences definitely make you a candidate for a US MD program assuming you have put together a solid application, apply early and give yourself a solid chance.

Best of luck,

I vote, No its too late this cycle to just now start putting together your app.
 
Wait till next year.

Try and get close to some profs this year to get some solid LOR's. Beef up that clinical experience and try and get a research jerb on your gap year. Also try and rock your classes this year (obviously) and get your s and c GPA past 3.6. With a 3.6+ and a 35 you're looking at a decent shot at top 40 med schools next cycle provided you apply early and write well.
 
Should I retake the MCAT? I feel like I can do a lot better (I didn't finish the verbal or the physical sections) but maybe that's a waste of time? Also should I do a special masters program like that at Georgetown? What should I do for US clinical experience? I'm assuming the special masters program wont afford me time for clinical experience. Giving me less than a year to do something that is in the United States.
 
Should I retake the MCAT? I feel like I can do a lot better (I didn't finish the verbal or the physical sections) but maybe that's a waste of time? Also should I do a special masters program like that at Georgetown? What should I do for US clinical experience? I'm assuming the special masters program wont afford me time for clinical experience. Giving me less than a year to do something that is in the United States.
Don't retake the MCAT. Don't do a SMP.

Beef up your ECs. Do some shadowing and find a volunteer position at a hospital. Do some more research.
 
I'm sure you could get into a US MD school, however you won't have nearly the amount of choice you would have next year. You would likely have to settle for a school that isn't your first pick, and if that's an out of state school, it might be expensive. Then again, you would be saving yourself a whole year instead of being stuck in educational limbo.

If it were me, though, I'd use the year you have to do some strengthening of your app (shadowing, getting some letters), get a kick ass personal statement done, get a job (if you don't have one), save up some cash, and do some traveling before you live inside the library. Next year, apply as early as possible, and you'll have your pick of a lot of schools.
 
I just took my MCAT the last day possible for this year (Aug 10.) and received my score two days ago. I thought I bombed it so I did not prepare my application but ended up getting a 35R (11P 11V R 13B). My gpa is on the low side with both science and cumulative hovering around a 3.55. I won't have strong letters of rec because I go to a very large prestigious public school and honestly do not learn at all in office hours. I have limited research experience and my clinical experience is limited to working on medical missions (I'm president of a group that does this sort of thing so I've logged significant hours doing that at least.) What do you say my chances are, if I send my primary application in a couple of days? I'm a 5th year at my university and don't really have plans to take another year off... but I feel that DO schools and Caribbean schools are not right for me. So SDN any advice?

I agree.. I would only apply if you have something really INTERESTING about you that will get you picked up for an interview the first time someone looks at your application. Otherwise, come up with something and reapply. Congrats on the MCAT score, only supreme ballers get 35s skewed by top heavy BS scores 😀