Medical Should I apply this year or next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I first would like to say thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my question.

So, first I’ll start with I had a followed a very nontraditional road to lead to where I am. After working with little college experience I went back to get my bachelors and then applied to a Ph.D program at the place I currently am at. During this past summer while I was preparing for my comprehensive exam, I came to the realization that research wasn’t for me, didn’t enjoy the research or the department, and that sitting down and talking to others, both in the medical field, Ph.D students who went on to medical school and a fellow Ph.D student with an MD, as well as doing souls searching, I realized that I would prefer treating illness rather than research them. After my talk with my PI this past fall/winter we agreed that it would be best for me to switch to a master’s and finish in the spring/summer, ideally spring. I have started to study for my MCAT and plan to take it by April/May but haven’t started to do really any volunteering clinical or non-clinical.

My question is how realistic it would be for me to be able to apply this year? Would I be able to do enough volunteering in this time, while I work full time and then some on my research and study for the MCAT or would it be better for me to push back applying to next year?
  • My undergrad GPA was 3.2 and my GPA in the graduate program is a 3.7.
  • 32 years old and don’t know if I could financially afford to take a year off.
  • Plan to apply in the Midwest area.
Without strong evidence of commitment to service in medicine and a 3.2 Cgpa, likelihood of a successful MD application within a year is small. There are a few "lucky" states where I have seen a gpa like this work for MD (think WV, MS, ND, PR).
Master's grades are not seen as the equivalent of undergraduate grades at most MD schools, although DO schools average the two to approximate academic strength.
A sustained period of academic excellence in the sciences, a single strong MCAT score and sufficient clinical experience would be necessary for a successful MD application in most states. A DO application would not require the gpa repair so it could launch sooner.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.