Should I apply this year

Started by DrBruh55
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrBruh55

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I'm sure there are many post similar to this one but I could not find it when I looked. I am wondering what the likelihood of me getting into medical school this year would be. I have a 2.9 gpa due to lack of prioritizing in undergrad and am studying for the mcat right now and plan to take it on Aug 27th. I feel pretty good about it as I am making strides in content review and practice. My resume is ok as I have done two years of research, many community service hours (I have my own comm service initiative) and some shadowing as well as some Eboard positions. I am a black man so I'm an URM. As unfair as I believe that it is, I was told by some people that I have spoken to (some physicians, professors, and relatives) that I should apply this year and may be able to get in based on affirmative action. I wasn't sure what the likelihood of me getting in would be if I was to apply this year in September since I would want to wait for my mcat score to come out. Can I have some advice or opinions on what I should do. Whether applying this year is worth a shot or if I should wait until next year to apply for fall 2016. Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.
 
Honestly, you really need to work on your GPA, at least try to get it to a 3.0 for DO schools and a 3.3 or greater for MD schools. With a lower GPA, you really need to do well on the MCAAT 27+
 
Raise your GPA and apply for next year. You probably only need a couple A's to do it. If you're taking the MCAT in August, you won't be verified to receive secondaries until September--that is usually considered late. Don't rely on Affirmative Action. Many URMs with better stats than yours still don't get into medical schools.