Should I apply to DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thf214

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide if I should apply to osteopathic schools in addition to the allopathic schools I am applying for through AMCAS. The main factor being would I be able to get into an allopathic if I applied next cycle, or if it would be worth applying to DO schools in case I didn't get positive results back. If I did not get into any allopathic schools, I would rather go to a DO school than wait another year to go through the cycle again.

cGPA 3.52
sGPA: 3.50
MCAT: 36

ECs: good, leadership positions in multiple clubs
Research: good, published in PNAS, attended multiple conferences/poster presentations, 2 research internships
Clinical experience: weakest part, 100+ hours volunteering in hospital and ~50 hours shadowing
LOR: strong as well I would imagine

Allopathic schools considering applying to (Alabama resident):
University of Alabama
University of South Alabama
Drexel
Temple
Tulane
George Washington
Georgetown
Albert Einstein
SUNY (downstate)
Virginia Commonwealth
Rush
USF-Select MD
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Robert Wood
Jefferson Medical
Tufts
Boston
Wake Forest
Univ of Chicago Illinois

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like you could apply allo right now and be successful. You're certainly fine for any DO program. keep in mind that ACOM is in your backyard.

Goro suggests

University of Alabama
University of South Alabama
Drexel
Temple
Tulane
George Washington
Georgetown
Albert Einstein
Virginia Commonwealth
MCW
SLU
Tulane
USF-Select MD
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt
Pitt
Jefferson Medical
Mt Sinai
Dartmouth
Tufts
Boston
Wake Forest

Id be surprised if you didn't get into a MD school. I dont think it would hurt to apply to some DO schools if you are paranoid but as is you stand very well for your chances at MD