Should I apply to Harvard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I apply to harvard?

• Yes

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hammer Time

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would like some honest answers, no trolls please, and nothing too rude either please. I have always had an interest in ivy league schools and such, and I think it would possibly be fun to apply to harvard. I'm not trying to be pompous or anything, but I'll describe my GPA and DAT scores, and extracurriculars to see if anyone thinks I have a chance.

So anyways, I just took the DAT and did decently well I guess.
My score was AA: 23, science:24
PA: 20
Bio: 25
OChem: 26
Gen Chem: 23
RC: 20
QR: 21
I'm not super thrilled about my perceptual ability score, but other than that I guess I did ok on the DAT.

My GPA is 3.92, science 3.90

I have worked at a lab all throughout college, helping do cleanliness level certifications for satellite parts. (This was a part time job to help pay for college expenses)
I will have 3 years of research, no publications, but I did go to a national conference. This was reasearch in motor control, and was aside from the work that I did at the other lab.
I have TA'd in a lab for two years, basically running one section of a physiology class laboratory.
I have volunteered many hours, in free clinics, and have gone on two dental trips to Mexico.
I am a white male, but I speak three languages fluently (English, Spanish, and Portuguese), and have lived a significant time in Brazil.

The only thing is that if I apply to harvard, I will need to take Calc 2 next year. What do you guys think, should I consider applying there or do I have no shot? (I think my weakest point is not having a freakish dat score). Any current or past students of Harvard Dental school would be particularly helpful in answering this question. Thanks.
Your stats are great! Do you have dental experience btw (shadowing/volunteering)?

Since when is a 23/24 not a freakish good dat score?

It's annoying when people act like that.

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I got a 20 on PA, and I have friends who got 26AA and 24AA, so I feel a little inadequate in comparison to them.

Word from the wise. Stop comparing yourself to your friends.

Reactions: 17 users
If you can afford the $168 and would otherwise always wonder "what if," then apply. You never know.

Reactions: 1 users
You should apply, and if you get an interview then take calc 2 next year. Your gonna have some time before maybe getting accepted and next year, so if you possibly get an interview or maybe even an acceptance before you take calc next year, then take it before matriculation.
But you should apply those are very good scores

No. Reason: insecurity.

Harvard probably wants students with both academic competence and personal confidence. You certainly seem to possess the former.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply, and if you get an interview then take calc 2 next year. Your gonna have some time before maybe getting accepted and next year, so if you possibly get an interview or maybe even an acceptance before you take calc next year, then take it before matriculation.
But you should apply those are very good scores

Last edited:
You obviously don't know me. Based one on internet post you think I lack personal confidence? I am actually quite confident, however I'm not cocky. I believe that if I get an interview I can kill it in the interview. No one who knows me thinks I lack personal confidence.
You just proved my point.

So you think it is possible to take calc 2 after? It is required, so I'm not sure if you need to have it on your transcript before you apply or not.
No you just need to complete pre reqs before matriculation. I think for most schools you need to complete maybe like 10 out of the 14 pre reqs before applying, and then completing all of them before matriculation. So you can still take some after application, and if calc 2 fits that options, then take calc 2 after applying and before matriculation.

I certainly think you have a shot just from reading your stats.

If you can afford the $168 and would otherwise always wonder "what if," then apply. You never know.

I agree with this.

No. Reason: insecurity.

Harvard probably wants students with both academic competence and personal confidence. You certainly seem to possess the former.

When I read this, I interpreted it as "I can tell you have academic competence, but I can't comment on your personal confidence because I don't know you." Judging from your response to this comment, you seem a little volatile which is not a good quality to have.

However, none of us really know you at all and it could just be the voice of anonymity. I vote yes, apply to harvard!

Some of these responses... Boy, you guys should be psychologists, not pre-dents.

Anyway, OP, I really think it's worth a shot! Your grades and scores are just fine! Good luck!

5 publications? Are you trolling? If not, and if you like research so much why not go for a PhD somewhere? Or a DDS PhD program or something?

No I'm not trolling, they're either already published or guaranteed to be published. it's research in the field of dentistry. And just because I work hard in research doesn't mean I want to pursue it as a career. I would like to become a dentist.

Your stats are good enough to get into Harvard, the class is small so odds for everyone applying are low. Have you looked into Harvard's Dental program and do you want to continue doing research and defend a thesis at the end of dental school. That is more important that wanting to go to Harvard because it's Harvard. Personally I have no interest at all in doing that so I would never apply there even with a 30 DAT and a 4.0 (I don't have those, just an example).

Why do you want to go to Harvard? Is it ego? The ability to name drop the "H-bomb"? You think Harvard grads have an easier time matching into specialties you're interested in? If your stats are good enough to get into Harvard, they are good enough to get in somewhere else for much, much cheaper.

You should be honest with yourself. You can have an equally good career with a lot less debt going by somewhere else, so if it's ego that's attracting you to Harvard, you should acknowledge that, if not to us, then at least to yourself. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. We all have some ego that is pushing us towards dentistry--in the words of JFK, we seek to go to (dental school)...not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

Why do you want to go to Harvard? Is it ego? The ability to name drop the "H-bomb"? You think Harvard grads have an easier time matching into specialties you're interested in? If your stats are good enough to get into Harvard, they are good enough to get in somewhere else for much, much cheaper.

You should be honest with yourself. You can have an equally good career with a lot less debt going by somewhere else, so if it's ego that's attracting you to Harvard, you should acknowledge that, if not to us, then at least to yourself. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. We all have some ego that is pushing us towards dentistry--in the words of JFK, we seek to go to (dental school)...not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

Last edited:
Your stats are good enough to get into Harvard, the class is small so odds for everyone applying are low. Have you looked into Harvard's Dental program and do you want to continue doing research and defend a thesis at the end of dental school. That is more important that wanting to go to Harvard because it's Harvard. Personally I have no interest at all in doing that so I would never apply there even with a 30 DAT and a 4.0 (I don't have those, just an example).

Last edited:
Why does anyone want to go there? I've just always been interested in ivy league schools.. Nothing really to do with ego.

If your initial explanation for wanting to go there is "I've just always been interested in ivy league schools" then it's pretty clear it has everything to do with ego for you. At least own up to it.

Also, for out of state tuition, Harvard is not more expensive than anywhere else really (aside from Texas schools).

Wrong...you should really do your homework when it comes to the cost of attending dental school.

No I'm not trolling, they're either already published or guaranteed to be published. it's research in the field of dentistry. And just because I work hard in research doesn't mean I want to pursue it as a career. I would like to become a dentist.

Last edited:
Some of these responses... Boy, you guys should be psychologists, not pre-dents.

Anyway, OP, I really think it's worth a shot! Your grades and scores are just fine! Good luck!

Dentists are like secret agent psychologists... They will never say yes but we do mind read

Reactions: 2 users
If your initial explanation for wanting to go there is "I've just always been interested in ivy league schools" then it's pretty clear it has everything to do with ego for you. At least own up to it.

Wrong...you should really do your homework when it comes to the cost of attending dental school.

Last edited:
I have done my homework. Time for you to do yours. I've read the ADEA dental school book forwards and backwards. Man, sometimes I wonder if posting things on this website is a waste of time, there are so many people who try to tell you things that have no idea what they are talking about.

"I've read the ADEA dental school book but I still made the statement that Harvard is no more expensive than other schools OOS but I'm still going to insist I know what I'm talking about"

Here, let me help you: what's the difference in cost between attending Uconn for 4 years and Harvard for 4 years?

"I've read the ADEA dental school book but I still made the statement that Harvard is no more expensive than other schools OOS but I'm still going to insist I know what I'm talking about"

Here, let me help you: what's the difference in cost between attending Uconn for 4 years and Harvard for 4 years?

Last edited:
I said for out of state students it doesn't make much difference. $55,850 is the cost for out of state at Harvard, pretty normal for out of state tuition.

I am referring to OOS. Please answer the question.

The cost for attending Harvard OOS is not going to be $55,850. Dental school is more than just tuition - there are additional fees and living expenses that vary based on where you attend. Did you ignore that part, or have you really just been looking at the tuition number?

I am referring to OOS. Please answer the question.

The cost for attending Harvard OOS is not going to be $55,850. Dental school is more than just tuition - there are additional fees and living expenses that vary based on where you attend. Did you ignore that part, or have you really just been looking at the tuition number?
At the University of Connecticut the out of state tuition is $53,800. Thanks for proving my point. Quit posting useless information when you don't know what you are talking about.. There probably isn't much difference between living in Connecticut and Massachusetts anyway, cost wise. And, of course I know the cost is more than just tuition.

At the University of Connecticut the out of state tuition is $53,800. Thanks for proving my point. Quit posting useless information when you don't know what you are talking about.. There probably isn't much difference between living in Connecticut and Massachusetts anyway, cost wise. And, of course I know the cost is more than just tuition.

UConn gives in state after a year so you won't pay that for all 4 years. Harvard as of 2014 was going to be about $360,000, with costs going up each year you will probably be in the $400,000 range by the time you get there. Yes, OOS is expensive most places but Harvard is still one of the most expensive overall, especially since Boston is so expensive!! Apply to Harvard, see what happens, your reasons for wanting to go there are weak given your data is off, but we aren't paying your bills either.

Reactions: 4 users
At the University of Connecticut the out of state tuition is $53,800. Thanks for proving my point.

Have you still not realized that cost of dental school is not tuition alone? Or did you completely ignore the "Total Cost" row in the ADEA guide?

Quit posting useless information when you don't know what you are talking about.. There probably isn't much difference between living in Connecticut and Massachusetts anyway, cost wise. And, of course I know the cost is more than just tuition.

lol

Reactions: 3 users
I've only read the ADA guide backwards. Am I at a disadvantage? :(

Reactions: 4 users
The ADEA book only gives reliable information on tuition and fees. You can cut big time on price of living by doing so frugally. But I'm not overly interested in cost, because I'm considering applying for a military scholarship anyway. Notice how my original comment said nothing about cost, that's not one of my concerns.

The ADEA book only gives reliable information on tuition and fees. You can cut big time on price of living by doing so frugally. But I'm not overly interested in cost, because I'm considering applying for a military scholarship anyway. Notice how my original comment said nothing about cost, that's not one of my concerns.

Then just ignore him! It's the Internet - you don't have to justify yourself to anyone.

The ADEA book only gives reliable information on tuition and fees. You can cut big time on price of living by doing so frugally.

You can't even figure out for yourself if you should apply to Harvard, but you're already confident you can significantly reduce your living expenses? This coming from the guy that said living in Connecticut and Massachusetts (in proximity to Boston) would be "about the same". lol please keep going.

But I'm not overly interested in cost, because I'm considering applying for a military scholarship anyway. Notice how my original comment said nothing about cost, that's not one of my concerns.

Oh how convenient, expense has become irrelevant when you discovered you were wrong about it.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, I didn't mean for the discussion to turn so hostile. It definitely sounds like Harvard would be a good fit for you and you should apply. If you apply to the military, you'll need a better answer about why though.

Update: The reason why I ask is to wonder if it's worth it or not to take Calculus 2 next year. The only reason why I would take calc 2 is to be able to apply to harvard. So what do you guys think?
OP, just apply and take Calc2 next year. A little math is not gonna hurt you. Also, Calc2 is easier than Calc1.

You can only live so frugally in Boston where an apartment or a room in an apartment is going to cost you at least $1000/month. It's great that you are thinking the military scholarship, but also consider, those are very limited as well and going military and specializing really don't work well together.

You can only live so frugally in Boston where an apartment or a room in an apartment is going to cost you at least $1000/month. It's great that you are thinking the military scholarship, but also consider, those are very limited as well and going military and specializing really don't work well together.

Last edited:
Lol, more "advice" about financial matters that I didn't ask for and am not worried about, thanks. Military scholarships and specializing don't work well together? Hahhaha thanks for the comedy. Tell that to the orthodontist I shadowed last week.. Lol! He'd get a kick out of that. Thanks for your "expertise" with military scholarships. Also not something I asked for.

The person you are replying to was only trying to help you, answered in a positive way, and gave you accurate advice. You have poor social skills and come across as very immature. Realistically speaking, I don't think you have a shot at Harvard based on the way you've conducted yourself in this thread. Sorry.

Reactions: 9 users
Lol, more "advice" about financial matters that I didn't ask for and am not worried about, thanks. Military scholarships and specializing don't work well together? Hahhaha thanks for the comedy. Tell that to the orthodontist I shadowed last week.. Lol! He'd get a kick out of that. Thanks for your "expertise" with military scholarships. Also not something I asked for.

Ask your Orthodontist..but also search threads here by current recipients of the military scholarships and they will back up what I said 100%....but you read the ADEA book so you know everything--why are you even posting here if you know it all.

The person you are replying to was only trying to help you, answered in a positive way, and gave you accurate advice. You have poor social skills and come across as very immature. Realistically speaking, I don't think you have a shot at Harvard based on the way you've conducted yourself in this thread. Sorry.

Last edited:
Lol! You have a serious ego problem.

willy-wonka-wilder.jpg

Reactions: 10 users