Should I apply to Harvard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I apply to harvard?

• Yes

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why did you start this thread? Based on your stats, I would hope you're intelligent enough to realize that you have a legitimate chance of being accepted to pretty much any dental school in the country. As far as Calc II is concerned, the answer is simple: if you really want a shot at Harvard, take it. That's all there is to it.

FYI, a "freakish" DAT score won't necessarily land you an acceptance, and vice-versa. If anything, Harvard tends to look beyond numbers in filling their class.

Best of luck with your application cycle...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why did you start this thread? Based on your stats, I would hope you're intelligent enough to realize that you have a legitimate chance of being accepted to pretty much any dental school in the country. As far as Calc II is concerned, the answer is simple: if you really want a shot at Harvard, take it. That's all there is to it.

FYI, a "freakish" DAT score won't necessarily land you an acceptance, and vice-versa. If anything, Harvard tends to look beyond numbers in filling their class.

Best of luck with your application cycle...

Last edited:
My hopes were that I would have been able to come across someone who had applied to Harvard, maybe even interviewed, and got accepted or not. Instead, I ran into a bunch of narcissists who tried to tell me things I'm not interested in hearing about.
Honey this is the "pre-dental" forum. Most people on here are pre-dental. If you want more dental students, try the dental forum or go to the threads for the Harvard class of 2019/2018 etc. Harvard's class is extremely small and I'm sure it's hard work and many of their students are probably too busy to be scrolling through random pre-dental threads on SDN.
Though this has been entertaining to read...

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My hopes were that I would have been able to come across someone who had applied to Harvard, maybe even interviewed, and got accepted or not. Instead, I ran into a bunch of narcissists who tried to tell me things I'm not interested in hearing about.

Try checking out the HSDM Official Interview/Acceptance threads for various years (2017, 2018, 2019). I'm sure that if you PM'd some of the matriculants, they'd be more than happy to provide additional info about the school.

Honey this is the "pre-dental" forum. Most people on here are pre-dental. If you want more dental students, try the dental forum or go to the threads for the Harvard class of 2019/2018 etc. Harvard's class is extremely small and I'm sure it's hard work and many of their students are probably too busy to be scrolling through random pre-dental threads on SDN.

Beat me to it! :)

Last edited:
Try checking out the HSDM Official Interview/Acceptance threads for various years (2017, 2018, 2019). I'm sure that if you PM'd some of the matriculants, they'd be more than happy to provide additional info about the school.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is a risk you must be willing to take every time you ask a question on this site
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1439338331.436363.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
(3) you might be showing undue deference to Ivy League prestige, which, believe it or not, really grinds the gears of Ivy League admissions officers (I know this because I am personal friends with an undergraduate one)
Could you please elaborate this? Nice advice for OP, btw :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Stop trolling OP, if you really wanted to apply to Harvard you wouldn't make an entire thread about it and ask for other people's opinions and then not acknowledge/appreciate their advice. You probably knew your stats were in their demographics and now you're just posting this information to boost your ego. Pay the $168 and see what happens.

Lol, more "advice" about financial matters that I didn't ask for and am not worried about, thanks. Military scholarships and specializing don't work well together? Hahhaha thanks for the comedy. Tell that to the orthodontist I shadowed last week.. Lol! He'd get a kick out of that. Thanks for your "expertise" with military scholarships. Also not something I asked for.

Jerk

Reactions: 2 users
lol

I just noticed OP's user name is "Hammer Time"

That's cool...

Kinda make me want to humm the song and wiggle my legs !

lol

I just noticed OP's user name is "Hammer Time"

That's cool...

Kinda make me want to humm the song and wiggle my legs !

And your saying make me think
"What you wanna do with that big fat butt.. Wiggle wiggle "

Nah, I think you're out of their range... I think you might have a shot at your state school. But even that would be pushing it. I would retake the DAT and hold off on e-submitting until about December.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll just apply, what do I have to lose. It's funny how quick people are to judge over the internet. No one who knows me in real life thinks I lack self esteem, but all you pre-dental "psychologists" were so quick to label me as such. Fine, I'll be more cocky in regards to my scores from now on. If that's what everyone wants. I wasn't trying to put other people down by saying my scores weren't the best. I know they are good. I think anything in the 20's is really good. And I have a friend who got a 19 who got accepted to 5 schools. So people, I think we probably agree on most things.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

PEACE! :horns:

@crankymonkey @A Pre-dent @rxdmx372 @tcf213 @virtualmaster999

Listen man stop comparing yourself to others, your replies are about what your friend's got in with, DAT scores, how many schools accepted etc.. you have stats in in the 90% percentile if not more, if Harvard really means that much to you, one semester of Calc II won't make a difference and you'll end up taking it. Harvard can't be the only school you're applying to, any guidance counselor or pre-health advisor would say the same, your stats are good, if you want to see if you'll get in, you will need to take the pre-req classes which is Calc II, if there is no desire to apply, don't take it. Not too hard.

Listen man stop comparing yourself to others, your replies are about what your friend's got in with, DAT scores, how many schools accepted etc.. you have stats in in the 90% percentile if not more, if Harvard really means that much to you, one semester of Calc II won't make a difference and you'll end up taking it. Harvard can't be the only school you're applying to, any guidance counselor or pre-health advisor would say the same, your stats are good, if you want to see if you'll get in, you will need to take the pre-req classes which is Calc II, if there is no desire to apply, don't take it. Not too hard.

Maybe he's only applying to ivy league schools? wouldnt be the first person lol

Last edited:
Yes, I won't deny that at all, @studentdent00 ...haha. However, I think I was doubly impacted in this way by my experiences as an assistant to an awesome general dentist. Is it not true that any successful professional in service to others must be meticulous about his/her self-presentation? I may be a shameless people-pleaser when it comes to everyday social interactions, but this does not mean I lie or adjust my moral principles at whim, nor I am not afraid to speak my mind when I think it is the right thing to do. In fact, I am extremely critical of prestige now that I have seen its dark side and general worthlessness nowadays.

At the least, I think everyone needs to care about how admissions committees perceive them. Just don't go overboard or be sycophantic.
What good comes from kissing-up unabashedly? Is a habit of adulation characteristic of leaders, which seems to be the type that Harvard seeks out most fervently? If you are "extremely critical of prestige now" and consider it generally worthless, then why are you applying to Harvard at all, which I deduced from the post here where you mentioned of talking to their Dean? But to each his own...

Last edited:

Last edited:
there's so much drama for no reason... haha. people start fights about literally nothing. it's entertaining, but it gets old.

there's so much drama for no reason... haha. people start fights about literally nothing. it's entertaining, but it gets old.

It's because we have gone so long without football no one knows what to do. 23 days til kickoff (for my team that is haha)!!!!

Where all did you end up applying?! Just read this whole thread for the first time and it was quite the rollercoaster

Aside from the fact OP is so afraid to leave his posts on the internet and instead changes his posts to "." for fear that future adcoms might put 2 + 2 together and realize that "Hammer Time" is John Doe in real life and reject him for his internet arrogance, I read through the lines of the replies and some posts he didn't get to take down yet that he is extremely arrogant.
I honestly hope Harvard rejects you simply because you are applying to rub your own ego, and you think you're the bomb when most ivy leaguers are smart yet humble. #Hubris

Aside from the fact OP is so afraid to leave his posts on the internet and instead changes his posts to "." for fear that future adcoms might put 2 + 2 together and realize that "Hammer Time" is John Doe in real life and reject him for his internet arrogance, I read through the lines of the replies and some posts he didn't get to take down yet that he is extremely arrogant.
I honestly hope Harvard rejects you simply because you are applying to rub your own ego, and you think you're the bomb when most ivy leaguers are smart yet humble. #Hubris

Yeah, I agree 100%. The reason I ask where they are applying is that I have a 'short list' of people that I really really really do NOT want to go to dental school with and he (she?) jumped up to right near the top.

Yeah, I agree 100%. The reason I ask where they are applying is that I have a 'short list' of people that I really really really do NOT want to go to dental school with and he (she?) jumped up to right near the top.
Turtle Boy, are you applying this cycle? I do like the pun in your name btw

Sorry, assumed you were turtle boy because of your name pun, how is cycle going for you?

I wonder what ever happened to @Hammer Time

((Hagrid Voice))
Some say he logged off for good. Codswallop in my opinion. Dunno if he had enough humility left in him to log off for good. Some say he's still out there, bidin' his time, like, lurking in on threads, but I don' believe it.

Reactions: 4 users
((Hagrid Voice))
Some say he logged off for good. Codswallop in my opinion. Dunno if he had enough humility left in him to log off for good. Some say he's still out there, bidin' his time, like, lurking in on threads, but I don' believe it.
Omgg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk