Should I apply to MD schools with OLD MCAT ( 504) and take test in late Aug?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btttbgfr34

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone! I was planning on retaking the MCAT June 19th but My life took an unexpected turn, my mom was recently diagnosed with breast cancer! From all the surgeries and oncology appointments I can not now focus on my studies and do well on my upcoming MCAT. My GPA is 3.93 with a 504 MCAT. Last cycle I received 2 interviews but not sure that will get off the wait-list..... I was wondering if I should apply with my old score early and then inform them about an upcoming MCAT in Late August? I don't know which situation is less worse .....Will schools look at my old MCAT or wait for my new score to send in secondaries? Any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

If a school holds your application until the second MCAT arrives (and most will extend you that courtesy) will also be looking at your application as a late arrival because it won't be reviewed until after that second MCAT arrives. That puts you in a bad spot, particularly given that you are a reapplicant and someone with a first MCAT that was below the average for admitted MD students.

Frankly, given your situation right now, it might be best to sit out this cycle, take care of your mom, take the MCAT sometime between now and April and apply in 2022. I know this is not what you want to hear but I do think that applying with an August MCAT is a waste of money.

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry to hear about your mom. My sister and a couple of cousins are survivors. Your mom is lucky to have you to help and support her.

As to your question. Schools are under no obligation to wait for your new score . They might or might not. How else have you significantly strengthened your application from last cycle? Any idea when you might hear about the WLs?
I think you might consider waiting to see about the WL movement and if you aren’t accepted hold off reapplying until 2022. This would give you time to study well, work on buffing up your application for a reapplication and continue to support your mom. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If a school holds your application until the second MCAT arrives (and most will extend you that courtesy) will also be looking at your application as a late arrival because it won't be reviewed until after that second MCAT arrives. That puts you in a bad spot, particularly given that you are a reapplicant and someone with a first MCAT that was below the average for admitted MD students.

Frankly, given your situation right now, it might be best to sit out this cycle, take care of your mom, take the MCAT sometime between now and April and apply in 2022. I know this is not what you want to hear but I do think that applying with an August MCAT is a waste of money.
what about applying this cycle without taking the MCAT? I have a very strong clinical hours. I applied very late last cycle but was still able to get interviews from top 30 schools

what about applying this cycle without taking the MCAT? I have a very strong clinical hours. I applied very late last cycle but was still able to get interviews from top 30 schools

How did this cycle work out for you? How will this new application be better than the last one? Will it be enough to get you to the top of the staricase rather than stuck near the door waiting to be let in if someone declines to matriculate?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
How did this cycle work out for you? How will this new application be better than the last one? Will it be enough to get you to the top of the staricase rather than stuck near the door waiting to be let in if someone declines to matriculate?
What if I score very well in Aug would that be able to change things despite being late that cycle?

What if I score very well in Aug would that be able to change things despite being late that cycle?
By the time your MCAT score arrives, many schools will have already interviewed, or queued for interview, almost everyone who will get an interview in that cycle. You'll be in a wicked game of musical chairs-- 15 chairs and 1,000 applicants.

If you have a 523 the second time around, some stat-wh0re schools might take notice but if you are more "average" in the gain (maybe gaining 2 points in each section for a 512) you are not likely to turn heads.

Reactions: 1 users
By the time your MCAT score arrives, many schools will have already interviewed, or queued for interview, almost everyone who will get an interview in that cycle. You'll be in a wicked game of musical chairs-- 15 chairs and 1,000 applicants.

If you have a 523 the second time around, some stat-wh0re schools might take notice but if you are more "average" in the gain (maybe gaining 2 points in each section for a 512) you are not likely to turn heads.
Got it! I will try my best to take the MCAT mid june

Got it! I will try my best to take the MCAT mid june
Honestly, what's the rush? Besides what you are dealing with with your mom, many schools advise skipping a cycle before reapplying.

Reactions: 1 users