Should I apply to more schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

808hawaiiwarriors

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a Hawaii resident applying to California schools, what do you all think of my chances? I know that it's a VERY competitive state but I have family in California and as much possible, I would like to stay with them for grad school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

University: University of Hawaii at Manoa
Major: Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Science
Overall GPA: 3.52
Pre-req GPA: 3.2-3.3+ (depending on the school)
Last 60 GPA: 3.74

GRE:
147-Q, 150-V, 4.5-AW (1st time)
154-Q, 157-V, 5.0-AW (2nd time)

Observation Hours:
56 - pediatrics children’s hospital (cerebral palsy, congenital deformities, ortho)
178 - inpatient rehab hospital (stroke, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord, ortho)
636 - private outpatient clinic (neuromuscular, geriatrics, sports, ortho)

Applied: Azusa, Cal State Northridge, Mount St. Marys, University of the Pacific, West Coast, Western University, UNLV

Potential backup schools: Franklin Pierce University (both campuses), Touro University - Nevada, AT Still, Pacific University (Oregon), University of South Florida, Nova Southeastern University - Fort Lauderdale, Touro College - NY

Acceptances:
Rejections:
Wait-lists:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I am a Florida resident and your stats are similar to mine. I have applied to 30 schools across the nation to increase my odds of getting into a physical therapy school and not have to apply again next year. I do not know your finances but if you have the money I would apply to a few schools in the east coast and midwest.

Hello, I am a Florida resident and your stats are similar to mine. I have applied to 30 schools across the nation to increase my odds of getting into a physical therapy school and not have to apply again next year. I do not know your finances but if you have the money I would apply to a few schools in the east coast and midwest.

Thanks for the advice! Application-wise, money isn't too big of an issue, it's the cost of living during school that I am worried about. Since I'm a Hawaii resident and must pay out-of-state tuition, I'm relying on my family in California for housing so I won't have to worry about rent and other expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm applying to a lot of the same schools as you. Just be aware that many of these have rolling admissions and submitting this late into the cycle may put you at a disadvantage. Good luck!

Since I'm a Hawaii resident and must pay out-of-state tuition, I'm relying on my family in California for housing so I won't have to worry about rent and other expenses.

Since Hawaii doesn't have a DPT program, a lot of the western state schools will give you in-state tuition through WICHE's professional student exchange program. I know University of Utah does this, and I think many others do as well. I'd look into it- many of the CA schools have expensive-enough tuition that you might end up saving money going to a state school at resident tuition rates and paying for your own housing as opposed to paying $100+K for tuition to go to school in CA.

Since Hawaii doesn't have a DPT program, a lot of the western state schools will give you in-state tuition through WICHE's professional student exchange program. I know University of Utah does this, and I think many others do as well. I'd look into it- many of the CA schools have expensive-enough tuition that you might end up saving money going to a state school at resident tuition rates and paying for your own housing as opposed to paying $100+K for tuition to go to school in CA.

Thanks, 4 out of the 7 schools that I applied to are WICHE programs. The only hard thing is the amount of students who receive WICHE funding is based on the state's income. For example, last cycle ~20 PT students applied for the program and 5 received funding, this year they can afford to help only 4 PT students which makes it even more competitive.

Last edited:
Ah, bummer. I didn't realize it was that limited. Is that just for the state of CA, or is that across the board?

Ah, bummer. I didn't realize it was that limited. Is that just for the state of CA, or is that across the board?

Actually the four student WICHE limit that I was referring to was for Hawaii residents like myself. I'm not too sure but I think every state is different since it's based on the available funding.

Last edited:
Actually the four student WICHE limit that I was referring to was for Hawaii residents like myself. I'm not too sure but I think every state is different since it's based on the available funding.

Ah, gotcha- so it's the "sending" state that foots the bill, and coming from Hawaii, your odds aren't great. :(