Should I apply to more schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

808hawaiiwarriors

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a Hawaii resident applying to California schools, what do you all think of my chances? I know that it's a VERY competitive state but I have family in California and as much possible, I would like to stay with them for grad school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

University: University of Hawaii at Manoa
Major: Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Science
Overall GPA: 3.52
Pre-req GPA: 3.2-3.3+ (depending on the school)
Last 60 GPA: 3.74

GRE:
147-Q, 150-V, 4.5-AW (1st time)
154-Q, 157-V, 5.0-AW (2nd time)

Observation Hours:
56 - pediatrics children’s hospital (cerebral palsy, congenital deformities, ortho)
178 - inpatient rehab hospital (stroke, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord, ortho)
636 - private outpatient clinic (neuromuscular, geriatrics, sports, ortho)

Applied: Azusa, Cal State Northridge, Mount St. Marys, University of the Pacific, West Coast, Western University, UNLV

Potential backup schools: Franklin Pierce University (both campuses), Touro University - Nevada, AT Still, Pacific University (Oregon), University of South Florida, Nova Southeastern University - Fort Lauderdale, Touro College - NY

Acceptances:
Rejections:
Wait-lists:
 
Last edited:
Hello, I am a Florida resident and your stats are similar to mine. I have applied to 30 schools across the nation to increase my odds of getting into a physical therapy school and not have to apply again next year. I do not know your finances but if you have the money I would apply to a few schools in the east coast and midwest.
 
Hello, I am a Florida resident and your stats are similar to mine. I have applied to 30 schools across the nation to increase my odds of getting into a physical therapy school and not have to apply again next year. I do not know your finances but if you have the money I would apply to a few schools in the east coast and midwest.

Thanks for the advice! Application-wise, money isn't too big of an issue, it's the cost of living during school that I am worried about. Since I'm a Hawaii resident and must pay out-of-state tuition, I'm relying on my family in California for housing so I won't have to worry about rent and other expenses.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I'm applying to a lot of the same schools as you. Just be aware that many of these have rolling admissions and submitting this late into the cycle may put you at a disadvantage. Good luck!
 
Since I'm a Hawaii resident and must pay out-of-state tuition, I'm relying on my family in California for housing so I won't have to worry about rent and other expenses.

Since Hawaii doesn't have a DPT program, a lot of the western state schools will give you in-state tuition through WICHE's professional student exchange program. I know University of Utah does this, and I think many others do as well. I'd look into it- many of the CA schools have expensive-enough tuition that you might end up saving money going to a state school at resident tuition rates and paying for your own housing as opposed to paying $100+K for tuition to go to school in CA.
 
Since Hawaii doesn't have a DPT program, a lot of the western state schools will give you in-state tuition through WICHE's professional student exchange program. I know University of Utah does this, and I think many others do as well. I'd look into it- many of the CA schools have expensive-enough tuition that you might end up saving money going to a state school at resident tuition rates and paying for your own housing as opposed to paying $100+K for tuition to go to school in CA.

Thanks, 4 out of the 7 schools that I applied to are WICHE programs. The only hard thing is the amount of students who receive WICHE funding is based on the state's income. For example, last cycle ~20 PT students applied for the program and 5 received funding, this year they can afford to help only 4 PT students which makes it even more competitive.
 
Last edited:
Ah, bummer. I didn't realize it was that limited. Is that just for the state of CA, or is that across the board?
 
Ah, bummer. I didn't realize it was that limited. Is that just for the state of CA, or is that across the board?

Actually the four student WICHE limit that I was referring to was for Hawaii residents like myself. I'm not too sure but I think every state is different since it's based on the available funding.
 
Last edited:
Actually the four student WICHE limit that I was referring to was for Hawaii residents like myself. I'm not too sure but I think every state is different since it's based on the available funding.

Ah, gotcha- so it's the "sending" state that foots the bill, and coming from Hawaii, your odds aren't great. 🙁