• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

Should I apply to orthodontic programs?

bbbbb5

Apr 30, 2020
  1. Dental Student
    Hello! Just to go straight to the point my stats are:

40/110 (should go up if we ever get ranks for this year after clinic gpa almost 4.0)
    Research experience for 3 years in ortho
    Leadership and community service heavy

My biggest concern is obviously the class rank. Its not anywhere close to where I would consider competitive for orthodontic programs however I really want to do it. I am struggling between the debt load of non match schools but knowing that's probably where my application belongs. Does anyone have any advice for me or schools I should apply to?

Thank you!

Big Time Hoosier

Man. Myth. Legend.
    5+ Year Member
    Navy
  • Jan 26, 2015
    Parents' basement
    1. Dentist
      Hello! Just to go straight to the point my stats are:

40/110 (should go up if we ever get ranks for this year after clinic gpa almost 4.0)
      Research experience for 3 years in ortho
      Leadership and community service heavy

My biggest concern is obviously the class rank. Its not anywhere close to where I would consider competitive for orthodontic programs however I really want to do it. I am struggling between the debt load of non match schools but knowing that's probably where my application belongs. Does anyone have any advice for me or schools I should apply to?

Thank you!
      How much will you owe for dental school? Going to an ortho residency that’s $300,000+ would be very unwise, I my opinion, if you already owe $400,000+.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 3 users
      About the Ads

allDAT

10+ Year Member
      Mar 11, 2011
      1. Dentist
        Careful with costs as Big Hoss has said. You never know until you throw your name in the hat. An AEGD/GPR or PP experience for 2 years or so would make you a more competitive applicant. If you don't get in, just retry for 2 cycles and see what happens if this is really what you want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.