Should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thundercatz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for another one of these threads.

I am graduating this summer with a 3.2 cumulative and science gpa, and was wondering if it was wise if I should spend a lot of money applying to 10+ schools. I took the DAT last year but did a decent job, so I am retaking it on July 3. My first time through, I had:

Bio - 24
ochem - 18
gchem - 18
RC - 18
QR - 18
PAT - 18
TS - 20
AA - 19

I cant believe I got so many 18's!! I know I can do much better as I didnt study the first time through.

Anyhow, would I have a decent shot if I scored in the 20 range? How high in the 20s should I shoot for to even have an honest chance? Or would it be best to apply next year when I raise my gpa by taking some post bacc classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that is a lot of 18s. I am sure you can hit the 20+, but 19 is not a bad score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that is a lot of 18s. I am sure you can hit the 20+, but 19 is not a bad score.

Tell me about it! A 19 isnt too bad but unfortunately it is not sufficient for my gpa :(.

If you can score 21+, I think you would have a legit shot - granted that you applied to enough schools.

Good luck!

Thanks Jiga! You got an amazing score! How did you study for the PAT section? And how much time did you spend on it?

Thanks Jiga! You got an amazing score! How did you study for the PAT section? And how much time did you spend on it?

Well, PAT came pretty natural to me so honestly I didn't spend that much time on it.

I used Achiever, Topscore, and Kaplan class. I studied for about 2 months, 8 hours everyday.

If you can score 21+, I think you would have a legit shot - granted that you applied to enough schools.

Good luck!

A 21+ would give him a very good chance, but I think the op's shot is pretty legit with his present scores, esp. since he/she is not deficient (<17) on any section. I think the OP has a good shot at landing some interviews with a precise pool of dental schools.

To the OP: I would encourage you to apply this year to the schools you are really serious about. reason being that if you dont get in this year, schools tend to favor 2nd year applicants.

I think with your stats you have a decent shot assuming you apply early, have good letters recommendation, and lots of extra-cir activities. Although I would retake the DAT and shot for a 20AA and 20TS.

Wow. Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys! I honestly didnt think I had a shot at all with my gpa and score. Ive been studying pretty hard core for the last month and will be taking the DAT again on July 3.

Im much more prepared this time so hopefully Ill have a better score. I think I will go ahead and submit my app now. Again, thank you for everyone's advice.