Should I applying late, is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

divXyng

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the MCAT on June 30th and won't get my results until the end of July. The earliest I think I can get my application in is by mid-august assuming everything else works out. Would it be worth it to apply this cycle? Would there be any cons to applying late?

I also dropped the ball on asking for letters of recommendation earlier this year because I just finished taking a class this spring and was on the fence about applying late. If I apply, I will only be giving my writers a 3 month heads up assuming they say yes. Is that reasonable?

Initially, I was thinking about waiting another year to apply but honestly I don't think my application is going to change much between this year and next year. I've taken all the classes I can take (sGPA 3.4 cGPA 3.6) and have plenty of clinical and non-clinical experiences (excluding part time jobs and leadership positions during college):

- 200+ hours volunteering on the Rehabilitation Unit
- 100 hours Medical Assistant at a free clinic
- Medical Mission trip to Mexico
- 600+ hours as an ER scribe

- ~80 hours GED tutoring
- 1700+ hours Americorps
- 3+ years working at an EMR company

Not that it matters but I'm first generation and am URM in my state. I can't see my GPA getting any better because I already have a lot of credits and unless I have research publications I can't see how I can improve my EC between this application cycle and next year's.

Members don't see this ad.

I think 3 months is plenty of time to give your letter writers. Your app looks great and it does matter that you're URM and 1st generation. I'd be happy to look over your PS if you don't have any reviewers lined up.

Reactions: 1 user
You seem like a solid applicant. My advice is to have a few set of eyes look over or PS. Not too many (2-3 should be fine). And of course, do well on the MCAT. I would recommend applying to some DO programs as well. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think 3 months is plenty of time to give your letter writers. Your app looks great and it does matter that you're URM and 1st generation. I'd be happy to look over your PS if you don't have any reviewers lined up.

Thanks for the feedback and offer! I'll send you a draft of my personal statement.

I'm taking the MCAT on June 30th and won't get my results until the end of July. The earliest I think I can get my application in is by mid-august assuming everything else works out. Would it be worth it to apply this cycle? Would there be any cons to applying late?

I also dropped the ball on asking for letters of recommendation earlier this year because I just finished taking a class this spring and was on the fence about applying late. If I apply, I will only be giving my writers a 3 month heads up assuming they say yes. Is that reasonable?

Initially, I was thinking about waiting another year to apply but honestly I don't think my application is going to change much between this year and next year. I've taken all the classes I can take (sGPA 3.4 cGPA 3.6) and have plenty of clinical and non-clinical experiences (excluding part time jobs and leadership positions during college):

- 200+ hours volunteering on the Rehabilitation Unit
- 100 hours Medical Assistant at a free clinic
- Medical Mission trip to Mexico
- 600+ hours as an ER scribe

- ~80 hours GED tutoring
- 1700+ hours Americorps
- 3+ years working at an EMR company

Not that it matters but I'm first generation and am URM in my state. I can't see my GPA getting any better because I already have a lot of credits and unless I have research publications I can't see how I can improve my EC between this application cycle and next year's.
August is NOT late. SDNers, please spread the word.

Reactions: 1 users