Should I ask for a LOR from this professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpwelie34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am planning to apply next cycle and I currently have two actual LOR's on my interfolio account (1 Dentist and 1 Biology Research Prof). My ochem professor knows me really well so I asked him if he would write me a LOR a few months ago and have been communicating with him ever since.

I have constantly reminded him about my LOR and he has told me he would write my a very strong LOR. The problem is that he will no longer be working at my university next quarter and he still has not written me the LOR yet. He told me that he will definitely not forget about it and he will have it ready by the time June comes around but I am still very worried because I had asked him for it since June and it is now December. I am worried that he might flake out on me and I will only have 2 LOR's by the time June rolls around.

I am currently now acing my Neuroscience class and have communicated with my professor via emails numerous times throughout the quarter. I attended Office hours twice and asked questions that he said he would actually consider making into exam questions. The problem is that I have never introduced myself to him so he probably can't match up my emails with my face during office hours. He is a very nice professor and I am wondering if I should just ask him for a LOR even though I don't think that he really knows me that well.

Can you guys offer me some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently now acing my Neuroscience class and have communicated with my professor via emails numerous times throughout the quarter. I attended Office hours twice and asked questions that he said he would actually consider making into exam questions. The problem is that I have never introduced myself to him so he probably can't match up my emails with my face during office hours. He is a very nice professor and I am wondering if I should just ask him for a LOR even though I don't think that he really knows me that well.

Can you guys offer me some advice?

I would approach him face to face, ask him directly, remind him of the emails, perhaps giving him copies, and give him your CV, transcript and a motivational letter that lets him know who you are on the planet, in context, your motivation, etc. Watch his body language as this will be the key for you to really know if he will come through with a LOR.

Last edited:
1st: keep pushing the first one writing the letter
2nd: you should ask your Neuroscience prof write you a LOR. Tell him to send it to Interfolio.

3rd: not only these two, but ask all the prof. you know. Tell them to send the letter to Interfolio.
Better to have some backups :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have just received a final grade of A+ from my neuroscience class. Since I have communicated with him a lot more through email, do you guys think it would be a bad idea to ask him for a LOR through email just in case my ochem professor doesn't come through for me?

I have just received a final grade of A+ from my neuroscience class. Since I have communicated with him a lot more through email, do you guys think it would be a bad idea to ask him for a LOR through email just in case my ochem professor doesn't come through for me?
i've asked prof's through email before.. worked nicely :)
but it was a 700 person class

ask both of those profs for LORs. You can keep 5 or more letters on Interfolio and then only forward the letters you want to AADSAS. So an extra letter wont hurt you and this way you cover all bases. :thumbup:

ask both of those profs for LORs. You can keep 5 or more letters on Interfolio and then only forward the letters you want to AADSAS. So an extra letter wont hurt you and this way you cover all bases. :thumbup:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is this "interfolio" you guys are talking about. It sounds like it could be a very great resource in getting your letters before AADSAS opens. Please elaborate on what it is and how to open one. Thanks!

Just get as many letters as you can just in case someone doesn't come through. If everyone comes through, then you can choose which ones you think are the best.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is this "interfolio" you guys are talking about. It sounds like it could be a very great resource in getting your letters before AADSAS opens. Please elaborate on what it is and how to open one. Thanks!

Just check out interfolio.com

I think I paid ~ $20 for about one year's storage of confidential papers and it will last me until May... If I have to reapply, then I renew it.

Basically, you just need your LOR's email address. You click some buttons to tell Interfolio to send your LOR an email to request the letter of rec. You have the option to make the letter confidential or not as well.

Then, the LOR will just upload the letter accordingly and you'll have it on your list of documents that you can send it to AADSAS processing center, schools, or anybody.

definitely ask! Ask as many professors as you can (without being greedy), and be safe. Come the end of the day, you dont have to send them all out, but it's better to have those back ups.

i got all of my letters senior year:

fall semester course (barely spoke with them)
spring semester course (barely spoke with them)
pre health advisor (barely spoke with them)
a family friend professor (barely spoke with them)
job/work boss
job/work boss
dentist

and i was confident they were all respectable letters.

Interfolio.com is a service that is used by med and dental schools. Its essentially a hub that can store your letters of rec (without you having access to them) and then you can use Interfolio to transfer these letters to AADSAS when you apply. Why use interfolio?

a. letters are stored for more than one year, so if you need to reapply (incase you dont get in the first time) you can reuse the same letters w/o going to the profs again. This is a major advantage because AADSAS deletes your letters from one cycle to the next.

B. This is the 2nd and most MAJOR advantage: with AADSAS you cant have your profs mail in the letters before June 1st. So for example, AADSAS opens June 1, but your prof is busy and doesnt provide you with a letter till August 1. Your prof basically screwed you because now your whole application is late (most schools wont review your app w/o letters.) BUTTTTTTTT if you use Interfolio you can have your prof write a letter anytime BEFORE June 1st and then you can store it in Interfolio. When June 1st comes around you submit it into AADSAS and then you can finish your whole app as early as you like :) This is a MAJORRRRRRR advantage because this can literally make or break your application.

Interfolio is only $20 for a years worth of service and like $5 bucks to mail out your letters to AADSAS. I HIGHLY recommend it because it was awesome and it was fundamental in me getting my letters in when I WANTED them to come in. I still had to wait for my profs but all of them wrote me letters in April and by end of May they were sitting in Interfolio ready for submission to AADSAS once it opened up. :p PS im not paid by Interfolio but I'll be their maven because they rock!

Your own school should have a LoRs service too that the profs can send to. They might be more comfortable with that.

Your own school should have a LoRs service too that the profs can send to. They might be more comfortable with that.

never heard of that. most schools dont have any service and you need to use aadsas anyway.

So do you guys think that asking by email is a bad idea? I have communicated with my professor the most via email so I think he would recognize me better via my name on my email address.

So do you guys think that asking by email is a bad idea? I have communicated with my professor the most via email so I think he would recognize me better via my name on my email address.

I asked in person, but if you cant see them in person I dont know why email would be a bad choice.