Should I attend this interview at VTC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allanMED15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at Virginia Tech this weekend. I am considering whether or not I should go.

With the class size being only 50, and this being the last interview day of the cycle, I think it is clear I am interviewing for a wait list spot. That being said, even if I were accepted, I would then have to take a class over the summer to fulfill their calculus requirement. VTC is the only school on my list that has this pre-req requirement. I knew this, but knew there could be a chance I would have to figure it out to finish it up before starting.

I have multiple DO acceptances and have had 3 MD interviews so far at UT and ETSU in Tennessee and IU in Indiana. I have only heard from the schools in TN, and am waitlisted at both. I know that if I want to go MD, I should go to any interview until I get an acceptance, but I am not sure that attending this interview 8 hours away would be worth it as it will be very difficult to actually be able to matriculate if accepted.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

goooooooooooooooooooo

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
any idea when you should be hearing back from IU?

Is "interviewing for a waitlist" something that's school-specific? Or is it a myth propagated by SDN?
pretty much every interview I attended (10+) explained to us that each interview date they have is an equal playing field...so I think it's a myth.

You are not interviewing for a waitlist spot. Go to any school's past threads and see how many people who interviewed in February who were accepted before people who interviewed in September. It's actually very very common.

I strongly suggest going. Getting an MD over a DO will open many more doors for you (IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN COMPETITIVE PROGRAMS/SPECIALTIES) DO's please don't come attack me. So, I suggest not limiting yourself especially since you don't have an MD accept. The old adage of "interviews 3, a doctor you'll be" seems to not be too accurate anymore, so let's make it "interviews 4, don't be a ***** - be an MD"
Very well said. Thanks for the input! I am interested in a Surgical sub-specialty. It does make sense to go.

Reactions: 1 user
any idea when you should be hearing back from IU?
Well, they do things where they send out acceptances on the 15th of every month. Since I interviewed last month, this month will the first that I am under consideration for acceptance. But either way, I would not hear back until the 15th or later.

I interviewed there and they said they were saving spots for the last interview dates. You definitely have a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Lucky you, OP. I'm still holding out for an II from VTech before this Saturday, but that's unlikely to happen. Rock that interview and get accepted on my behalf.

VTC has a unique interview cycle. They accept 25% of their total accepts per 2 interviews. They do 8 interview dates. The later applicants have no better or worse chances than early ones for their school. It is a very unique environment and I'd highly recommend you learn a little bit about the program before you decide if you want to do that type of thing or not.

I did not choose to go there but it seemed like a wonderful program. Very unique.

Edit: To clarify - i'm speaking from my memory of the interview from a year ago. The admissions dean and staff were very kind and welcoming to students. They also made their admissions cycle very clear. Not sure if my memory is perfect but I'm pretty sure that is the gist of it.

Last edited:
Lucky you, OP. I'm still holding out for an II from VTech before this Saturday, but that's unlikely to happen. Rock that interview and get accepted on my behalf.

I will do my best! Being OOS with lower numbers, I was surprised. But I am excited about it! I am pulling for you!

it's a real thing. We get picky at the end of the app cycle. So, seats get, well, rationed.

OP, I suggest going, especially if you're boning for the MD.

Thanks for that, Goro. I will definitely be attending. And being that it is an MMI, I really feel that I am great at making first impressions. I am hopeful for my chances, no matter what I'll have to do after.

VTC has a unique interview cycle. They accept 25% of their total accepts per 2 interviews. They do 8 interview dates. The later applicants have no better or worse chances than early ones for their school. It is a very unique environment and I'd highly recommend you learn a little bit about the program before you decide if you want to do that type of thing or not.

I did not choose to go there but it seemed like a wonderful program. Very unique.

Edit: To clarify - i'm speaking from my memory of the interview from a year ago. The admissions dean and staff were very kind and welcoming to students. They also made their admissions cycle very clear. Not sure if my memory is perfect but I'm pretty sure that is the gist of it.

Thanks for that! From what I have read, they have a class all about what the white coat means which helps the students really understand what they're getting into. And with it being a small class size, it is exactly what I am used to from my time in undergrad and grad school.

What made it unique, in your opinion?

Thanks for the input! Have you heard back?

Lol yeah, I got alternate listed in like December (sigh), and the email I got specifically said they were saving spots for the 2017 interview days.

Thanks for the advice! Us May 22nd, 2015 fam have to be on the lookout for each other. How are things for you?
Things are great, except I am too busy to actually be on SDN. Really hoping you get an MD spot.

Highly recommend going. I have a friend who is currently there, and she interviewed at the last interview date, and got a straight acceptance in April.