Should I be a Dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmyMax22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tell me (kindly) if this is in the wrong place. :D

I have been a Paralegal for 9 years. (I am 27.) I just started going back to school to finish my B.S. (psychology). I planned to minor in business, but I have started thinking about dental school. I'd need to swap out my business classes for biology, physicis, and chemistry classes. But, before I do anything like that ... I wanted to ask some advice.

Do you have to have a certain type of personality to work inside people's mouths? The thought doesn't completely gross me out or anything, but I assume it would take some getting used to. I haven't had my hands in anyone's mouth but my own.

(I'd actually like to specialize in orthodontics, but I understand that it's super competitive. I had braces for 3 1/2 years when I was a kid, and I love working with kids ... so it seems like orthodontics might be a good fit for me.)

Do any of you have any advice for me, or should I just go for it?

:) Thanks in advance for your help! My best to you all!!

Amy

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have been a Paralegal for 9 years. (I am 27.) I just started going back to school to finish my B.S. (psychology). I planned to minor in business, but I have started thinking about dental school. I'd need to swap out my business classes for biology, physicis, and chemistry classes. But, before I do anything like that ... I wanted to ask some advice.

Do you have to have a certain type of personality to work inside people's mouths? The thought doesn't completely gross me out or anything, but I assume it would take some getting used to. I haven't had my hands in anyone's mouth but my own.

No I dont think it takes a certain type of personality...I guess you have to have some tolerence for the blood, saliva, etc, but you get used to it pretty quickly. But the best way to find out if you can handle it is if you go and at least shadow a dentist or if you can get a part-time job assisting. That would probably be your best bet before you make a life altering decision like trying to go for dental school.

(I'd actually like to specialize in orthodontics, but I understand that it's super competitive. I had braces for 3 1/2 years when I was a kid, and I love working with kids ... so it seems like orthodontics might be a good fit for me.)

It's good to have an interest in a specialty, but dont be suprised or unwilling to change your mind because its a whole different ball game (im sure) once you been through dental school and you've had your hands in all the aspects of dentistry.

Amy

Like I said before I say you should try to at least shadow one or more dentists to see if thats something your willing to do for the rest of your life. You dont want to get into something that you will ultimatly be unhappy with in the end (not that dentistry will make you unhappy persay). If you like it, then go for it.

Amy

First,
I would like to welcome you to this forum. Second I would like to ask you to stop and look at your life. Are you willing to dedicate the next 5-8 years studying hardcore sciences? You are 27 which means you have other worries and responsibilities such as making money and maybe getting married. Are you willing to risk everything for a career change?
As much as it is a personal matter to make a decision, it is also a purely sensible matter. Look at the statistics and the applicant pool; are you able to compete? I am not doubting you but I am asking if you are really motivated enough. Wearing braces for a few years is not enough I think.
But my advice to you is this; take it or leave it:
I think you should research schools that offer a post bac program, such as Columbia and UConn to name a couple. Then you take a certain number of specified courses and take the DAT, but being part of their program is 10x better than being just a regular untraditional applicant. If I were you and it never hurts, I would head down to the closest and favored Dental school and ask the dean of admissions for the right thing to do. Either way, GoOd LuCk with whatever you decide on.
welcome again.

Amy

Amy, you're in the right place!! I don't think you need a certain personality as long as you're not an SOB to your patients. I was initially grossed out when I thought about tinkering w/ someones mouth, but the more I found out about being a dentist, the more I want to become one. You might want to spend some time (20-40 hours) shadowing a dentist if you can so you know if dentistry is right for you. If you do want to become a dentist, go for the buisness minor and take all those fun :scared: science classes. :laugh: As far as specializing, I have found the atmosphere in GP to be more fun than specialties, largely b/c of the relationship with the patients, but I find some specialties really interesting, so I'm torn between wanting to specialize or not. Good luck Amy, I hope things work out for you.

It's awful early for someone in your position to start thinking about specializing. If you feel it's something you could develop a passion for, I would suggest shadowing a local dentist. Not once, not twice, but several times. Get a chance to really see the client/staff relationships, different types of procedures, equipment, etc. THEN, you would be able to take the next step in taking all the bio classes, studying for the DAT, taking the DAT, etc, etc. I'm telling you straight up, it's a long and continuous uphill battle, so you need to make sure you make the right decision for yourself. The field of orthodontics is not the only field that's competitive (aka dentistry alone is rediculous).

Also, you are still young. But keep in mind that it'll take roughly 3 years or so just to complete your pre-requisites, then another 4 years of dental school. And if you've still got some fight in you, I believe 2 (maybe 3 or 4) years of more school for specializing. By no means am I trying to shoot down your dreams here, I am just stating the facts. I wish you the best of luck!

Amy

Hi Amy,

First, it is never too late. Heck, there are people in there 40's going to dental school. Before you make any major changes to your schedule though, I'd really recommend at least job shadowing with a general dentist for a few hours. The more you can job shadow the better, but I realize it is probably getting pretty close to the time in which you need to be making final registration decisions.

I don't know that you have to have a specific personality, every dentist has a unique personality, but there are surely some characteristics you should have. Dental schools look at all sorts of characteristics, but overall, I think they are looking for well rounded people who are compassionate, leaders, have high integrity, and show a genuine passion and commitment to dentistry.

Orthodontics is a great field of dentistry. To me it absolutely amazing how you can use basic physics to move teeth and bone. It is also amazing to watch the transition from malocclusion to occlusion. The encouragment of my orthodontist was actually what inspired me and got me addicted to dentistry. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be an orthodontist, I would love nothing more myself, but realize too that you have to become a dentist to become an orthodontist and there is chance you may not get into an ortho residency, so you need to be sure you like general dentistry too since that is what you will be focusing on for most of your dental education.

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone. :)

I wish the best to all of you.