Should I be concerned about new MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheGoodLife570

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am somewhat of a non-trad student, I'm completing my business/english degree in June 2013. I had planned out a course load for the next few semesters so I can finish the pre-reqs before my tuition remission expires when I turn 24.

My plan was:
Fall 2012- Business classes with Chem1
Spring 2013- Business Classes with Bio 1
Fall 2013-Bio 2, Chem 2
Spring 2013- Phy 1, Org 1
Fall 2014-Phy 2, Org 2

I am able to take classes in the summer, but I don't want to risk not completly grasping the concepts because of the condensed time. ( I can do it if needed)

My question is would be smarter to cut back on some business classes in order to eliminate the fall 2014 semester so I can prepare for taking MCAT in 2014 (not have to worry about MCAT change). My thinking was that there are many study materials and study plans, especially on SDN, that would be a huge benefit. Also, I want a lot of time to prepare so I can do well on it the first time.

Last question is if my planned course sequence is good?

I appreciate any input.
 
You should avoid the 2015 MCAT. The most glaring argument is that, like you mentioned, there is SO much practice material out for the current MCAT, not to mention multiple prep companies and 8 practice AAMC full length exams. The plethora of information available surrounding the current MCAT is too valuable to give up for a (1) more difficult new test with (2) much less practice material and knowledge surrounding it. Especially when you could easily make the 2014 summer deadline. I would recommend holding off on the business classes though, until after your MCAT.
 
Yes, I second what theNard has stated. The 2015 exam is going to be more challenging in my opinion and it's better just to do the current exam now while you can. There is already enough material to know for the MCAT. The 2015 MCAT sounds like a nightmare. Those business classes will always be there.
 
You should avoid the 2015 MCAT. The most glaring argument is that, like you mentioned, there is SO much practice material out for the current MCAT, not to mention multiple prep companies and 8 practice AAMC full length exams. The plethora of information available surrounding the current MCAT is too valuable to give up for a (1) more difficult new test with (2) much less practice material and knowledge surrounding it. Especially when you could easily make the 2014 summer deadline. I would recommend holding off on the business classes though, until after your MCAT.

Ok, Thank you for your input.

I could fit in Physics 1 in my upcoming semester. Would chem 1 and physics 1 be too math heavy together?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The 2015 mcat will be adding humanities to the current BS, PS, VR sections (assuming I'm not mistaken). I don't see how that could hurt you since you should benefit from the VR and added humanities. The fact that you are taking the classes that cover mcat material within a 2 year span suggests that you should be fine as long as you study hard and do extra studying beyond just getting an A in all your science courses.
 
I don't see any mention of biochem, psych, or sociology in that schedule of yours. You are aware that those classes become tested material on the new MCAT and will become pre-reqs at most med schools in 2015, yes? Also, orgo 2 is no longer going to be covered on the MCAT or required by med schools IIRC.

While you can probably get away with not having taken sociology and maybe psychology for the MCAT, the same cannot be said for biochem. You'll need to take that before you sit for the MCAT.