Should I be concerned/consider retaking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunGently

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2014
Messages
95
Reaction score
48
Just got my MCAT scores back and they were very unbalanced: 28 (11/10/7). Should I be concerned the my biology score is a 7 or should I apply and see what happens. My cumulative and science gpa is 3.43 with a few retakes and I feel I have slightly above average ECs. Should I go ahead and apply or will I be screened out with the 7? Should I retake? Any thoughts would be great!

Members don't see this ad.
 

yanks26dmb

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2008
Messages
1,937
Reaction score
971
I dont think you'll be screened out many places, but ii's may not be plentiful with that 7 in bio.
 

RunGently

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2014
Messages
95
Reaction score
48
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I always told myself that I wouldn't retake a 28 but I was assuming I'd do well enough on each section. Do you think I should retake or just apply and hope for the best? I'm somewhat concerned that retaking would result in a lower score :p
 
Members don't see this ad :)

yanks26dmb

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2008
Messages
1,937
Reaction score
971
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I always told myself that I wouldn't retake a 28 but I was assuming I'd do well enough on each section. Do you think I should retake or just apply and hope for the best? I'm somewhat concerned that retaking would result in a lower score :p

Agree with Goro - retake that ish
 

user3

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
3,221
Reaction score
1,149
disagree! Just apply broadly, 12+ schools, and you should get in.
 

RunGently

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2014
Messages
95
Reaction score
48
Thanks guys! Overall not what I was hoping to hear but it's good to hear all of your advice. Should I submit my application now and then look to update the MCAT later if I do decide to retake or will it be better to have a retake score before I submit?
 

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
10+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2012
Messages
5,457
Reaction score
4,226
Thanks guys! Overall not what I was hoping to hear but it's good to hear all of your advice. Should I submit my application now and then look to update the MCAT later if I do decide to retake or will it be better to have a retake score before I submit?

If you are satisfied with getting into a school, then it would be pointless to retake. There is just diminishing returns, if you are applying this year, unless you score a 34+. Well, I can understand considering the change of the MCAT. So I guess it would be okay to retake in this situation.
 

user3

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
3,221
Reaction score
1,149
Thanks guys! Overall not what I was hoping to hear but it's good to hear all of your advice. Should I submit my application now and then look to update the MCAT later if I do decide to retake or will it be better to have a retake score before I submit?
again, would NOT suggest going through the stress of an MCAT retake. Your score is above the matriculant median. Focus instead on your secondaries and interview skills.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
Top