1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Should I be doing something?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by CaipirinhaQuinho, Jul 20, 2006.

1. CaipirinhaQuinho

CaipirinhaQuinho Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, my summer of freedom is quickly coming to a close and now I'm starting to worry a little. Should I be doing something? For example, should I brush up on some science? or maybe start looking for p.i.'s? getting books?

What is/did everyone else do the 2-3 weeks before school starts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MuDPhuDShane

MuDPhuDShane Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do you not have research rotations this summer?

4. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No, no and, no. Read my posts in the Penn Class thread for more details. Stop worrying. You'll have plenty of time to worry once you start.

I did do a summer rotation before I started, though most people don't. Before that, I took a long trip around western Europe.

5. ClarinetGeek

ClarinetGeek Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I am currently doing a summer rotation and will done around Aug. 10 and orientation on the 17th. I have really started to think about school too much yet. I plan on worrying about ooohhh maybe Aug 17. I have talked to some M2s and whatnot. They have informed me that we get book during orientation, so I am not going to worry about that. Obviously since I am in a rotation, I have already done some research into PIs, but I wouldn't worry about that. You have a whole year until the next summer to find a PI or 2 to rotate with. In regards to brushing up on science, I do not plan on doing any studying until I have to....granted I just finished my ugrad in May, so it is relatively fresh.... Take it easy, enjoy the freedom.

6. RxnMan

RxnMan Who, me? A doctor?
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Why? You don't have enough time to learn anything of utility. Your school has already judged to you to be a proper vessel to hold the knowledge they will pour (or pound) in you over the next 4 years by giving you an acceptance.
    Finding a PI takes only a few days, especially if you already know what you want to do. If you don't, then don't work for anyone who doesn't have projects already waiting to go or papers ready to be written up.
    I wouldn't get books until you know which ones you need. To know that, you need to talk to 2nd years. To do THAT, you will need to be in med school orientation.
    Working (only 6 more days!), trying to move, wasting time on SDN!

7. CCLCMer

CCLCMer CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Looking for a PI isn't a bad idea if you have an idea about what you want to do. You could read their websites and send them some emails to set up appointments to meet once you get to school. But I wouldn't stress out over finding a mentor, because you'll have plenty of time after you get there to figure that out. You could definitely buy your books for M1 now if you know what they are. (Tip: buy them on line and not in the bookstore. They're much cheaper that way.) But speaking as someone who just finished my first week of classes, don't start studying now. Make sure to rest and relax as much as you can for the next few weeks, because you're about to have an avalanche of info dumped upon you once you finally start!

8. CaipirinhaQuinho

CaipirinhaQuinho Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks everyone. I've decided to continue to do nothing with my life. This week I'll be preparing to move into my new place on the 29th. See you all in a few weeks. Good luck to those at other schools.

9. ClarinetGeek

ClarinetGeek Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Hey I am moving in to my new place on the 29th as well! I can't wait.