Should I be having fears about dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jitters

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am finishing up applications I have a good GPA, decent DAT, and I've been wanting to be a dentist for as long as I can remember. I've worked so hard to get to where I am now. I like helping people. I've done a lot of volunteering within the dental field and I've shadowed a lot. I've shadowed fillings, root canals, crowns, and extractions. Recently I have come upon rare cases of patients with the craziest cases like what would look like the formation of 3 palettes with teeth all over. Or the case of the boy who had over 230 teeth extracted. The times if shadowed I've been fine I actually like seeing oral surgeries, but when I see or read about these cases in particular I get the chills! Idk if I should be freaking out about it. I want to be a dentist, should this have no effect on me? I've been wanting this my whole life I don't want to be doubting myself this far along. Is this something I can over come with time? Is it normal to have this feeling about these rare cases?

I hope I get honest replies from you all. I don't need any negativity to put me down either, this is already a stressful enough time for all of us.

Members don't see this ad.

You should:

If you need more advice, feel free to PM me.

good luck

if u can't take the heat, get out the kitchen

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What makes you think you have to take on those cases? Those weren't general dentists taking on any of those complex cases. It sounds like that's what you shadowed and that's what you like.

Shadow more and you'll find your answers. Especially in other specialty.

I will shadow more specialties. Thank you all for your replies. If you guys have any other ideas on how to overcome this please continue to post in this thread :)