Should I be worried?? Need some advice

Started by YoungLee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

YoungLee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi so I'm taking the MCAT in two days and have scored 33-35 on AAMC tests but am desperately hoping for a 36+ because I have a low end GPA, 3.27 (probably will raise it a little with some prereq classes that I'm taking this fall). I'm scared that without a 36+ I won't even make it past the first screen at any california schools. At this point there's not much I can do but review a little and hope for the best but if I feel at all like I won't crack 35 should I void it and just take it in January? I know that multiple tries don't look good and I would prefer to only take it once.

Is it unreasonable to think if I got a 33-35 that I won't make it into any California schools with my GPA? Thanks for any input.
 
Hi so I'm taking the MCAT in two days and have scored 33-35 on AAMC tests but am desperately hoping for a 36+ because I have a low end GPA, 3.27 (probably will raise it a little with some prereq classes that I'm taking this fall). I'm scared that without a 36+ I won't even make it past the first screen at any california schools. At this point there's not much I can do but review a little and hope for the best but if I feel at all like I won't crack 35 should I void it and just take it in January? I know that multiple tries don't look good and I would prefer to only take it once.

Is it unreasonable to think if I got a 33-35 that I won't make it into any California schools with my GPA? Thanks for any input.
If you're scoring 33+ on AAMC practice tests, don't void unless something absolutely disastrous happens, like you somehow panic and mismanage your time and leave a whole section blank or guess on an entire last page of questions. Your ability to self-assess at the end of that adrenaline rush is really impaired.

Even if you score at the low end of your desired range, it will almost certainly be >30 which isn't like any kind of "stain" on your record. If you feel the need, you can re-prep and retake in January. Keep in mind that having a 36 won't make you any "safer" from the insanity that is attempting to be competitive to CA schools. Even a 40 does not guarantee you a thing, not in CA, not anywhere. (OK, maybe if you're in-state in the Dakotas it might...)

You've prepared well, now go do your best and let the chips fall where they may. :luck:
 
Hi so I'm taking the MCAT in two days and have scored 33-35 on AAMC tests but am desperately hoping for a 36+ because I have a low end GPA, 3.27 (probably will raise it a little with some prereq classes that I'm taking this fall). I'm scared that without a 36+ I won't even make it past the first screen at any california schools. At this point there's not much I can do but review a little and hope for the best but if I feel at all like I won't crack 35 should I void it and just take it in January? I know that multiple tries don't look good and I would prefer to only take it once.

Is it unreasonable to think if I got a 33-35 that I won't make it into any California schools with my GPA? Thanks for any input.

Your gpa is too low to be competitive for Cali schools even with a 33-35 score on the mcat, but there are plenty of med schools out of state that you could be competitive for.

If you're set on going to an M.D. school in Cali, you may want to consider SMPs or Masters in an area of biology or health science that you are good at. Use that to boost your gpa.

You would be competitive for the top tier D.O. schools, like Western which is in Cali.
As for mcat, you'd need a 37+ I would assume, but then again, med schools usually (from what I hear) have a screen for a minimum gpa and I would imagine that being 3.4 or 3.5.
 
Don't ever void based on post exam feelings. You simple have no clue how you did and also have no clue how the test was scaled. You could come out of the test feeling great and still do bad if the test was scaled easier than other tests.

Everyone always feels terrible coming out of the test, so don't use this to gauge your performance.