Should I be worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optdedicated

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I graduated last year with a 3.52 gpa (great), decided to stay an additional year to finish my pre requisites for optometry school. I did a 400 hr internship at an optometry setting senior year and this shows how dedicated I am right? I stayed an extra year to finish my classes. BUT>>> the first time I took the OAT it was very low (260) and took it second time in the spring which was basically about the same score... OK not the best test taker but still I had A's and B's in almost all of my sciences. I got denied from schools, they were waiting on my last scores before they evaluated
1st question: does that mean they were considering my just need to improve OAT?

2nd: I did get one interview, they dont really have a minimum for OAT but my interview was already set (in meantime waiting for scores) they received them before interview but did not bring up the topic on my low scores. Interview went very well, I made an awesome portfolio with personal statement, transcript, scores, intern hours, etc., showed up nicely dressed and very confident.

Im still worried about the rejection, I did fly out of state for interview and I would be upset if I do not get in this year... I do not mind retaking the OAT (3rd time),,, i just dont have the money to pay for application, test, and kaplan course to help me :/ any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I graduated last year with a 3.52 gpa (great), decided to stay an additional year to finish my pre requisites for optometry school. I did a 400 hr internship at an optometry setting senior year and this shows how dedicated I am right? I stayed an extra year to finish my classes. BUT>>> the first time I took the OAT it was very low (260) and took it second time in the spring which was basically about the same score... OK not the best test taker but still I had A's and B's in almost all of my sciences. I got denied from schools, they were waiting on my last scores before they evaluated
1st question: does that mean they were considering my just need to improve OAT?

2nd: I did get one interview, they dont really have a minimum for OAT but my interview was already set (in meantime waiting for scores) they received them before interview but did not bring up the topic on my low scores. Interview went very well, I made an awesome portfolio with personal statement, transcript, scores, intern hours, etc., showed up nicely dressed and very confident.

Im still worried about the rejection, I did fly out of state for interview and I would be upset if I do not get in this year... I do not mind retaking the OAT (3rd time),,, i just dont have the money to pay for application, test, and kaplan course to help me :/ any advice?

Your GPA is decent.... its above the average of most of the schools as far as 2009 and 2010 go. Most schools hold quite a bit of stock in the OAT, as it is a standardized way of comparing students from multiple educational backgrounds and schools. So unfortunately this makes it very difficult for "bad test takers" or people with high anxiety.

I'd recommend taking the OAT one more time, and changing your study habit. Use a different book, research test taking skills, and ways to cope with the stress. Also, If you do not get admitted this cycle, be sure to apply very early for 2012.

Let me ask:

1) When did you apply?

2) Where did you apply, and which school did you have the Interview at and when?

That's why admissions committees weigh the OAT more heavily in applications. It's the only real way to directly compare all candidates objectively. Lots of colleges inflate and deflate grades. You can have a 3.8 in one college and work just as hard and get a 3.1 somewhere else for example.

Your GPA is decent.... its above the average of most of the schools as far as 2009 and 2010 go. Most schools hold quite a bit of stock in the OAT, as it is a standardized way of comparing students from multiple educational backgrounds and schools. So unfortunately this makes it very difficult for "bad test takers" or people with high anxiety.

I'd recommend taking the OAT one more time, and changing your study habit. Use a different book, research test taking skills, and ways to cope with the stress. Also, If you do not get admitted this cycle, be sure to apply very early for 2012.

Let me ask:

1) When did you apply? mid spring 2011

2) Where did you apply, and which school did you have the Interview at and when?
western interview, that I know of San Antonio was the only one to send me a letter and Michigan was already full

Thanks for the advice!