Should I be worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nitemagi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, got the scores back last night. Decent. Maybe a little above decent. My real question is the cutoff qualifications for really good schools. Am I screwed with a verbal 9? I got a Phys 11 and Bio 12.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, first time I've seen someone with the exact same scores as me. I don't think you're screwed although a 9 is not the greatest. How was your writing sample? If you got a T or something that may make you look a little better. Anyway I only took it once and I'm okay with these scores. I decided to apply and I've already received 2 interviews (not from top schools though). So bottom line, you should be fine to get into "a" medical school with these scores especially if the rest of your application is good. However if you're concerned about getting into a particularly competitive school, I'm not sure whether a 9V would kill you, I think it depends on the rest of your application.

I think your scores are really good. I know of people with similar breakdowns getting into really good medical schools.

congratulations :)

Members don't see this ad :)
got a Q for writing. The rest of my application is pretty good. Solid essay, 3.83 science GPA, rounded background- undergraduate double major in Theatre and Psych. I'm a hypnotherapist, was a sexual assault and domestic violence counselor. So some eclectics that should help me stand out. No research experience, but I figure the grades and decent bio score will help that.

Out of curiosity serpiente, did you take april or august?

nitemagi,

I think you'll be competitive. Even some of the top schools have verbal averages around 9. Don't sweat it!!

:)

I am just wondering what they mean by solid essay.As for me, I can never be sure whether or not the Adcom's gonna like it.

Just fill out the apps and see what happens. If you are applying this year and have not applied yet, you might have some difficulty because you are really late in the application process (if you haven't applied yet, I would recommend waiting until next year, your first app is supposed to be your best, many schools won't take your app that seriously the second time around). If you are applying next year, just make sure that you apply early. Regardless of what you do, even if you do not get in this year, I would not recommend taking the MCAT again. Your score is adequate, and there is probably an equal chance that your verbal score could go up or down.

People need to be a little more direct here. Your score is perfectly fine and you have nothing to worry about in that department. Apply to the right schools and you will (by defintion :)) get in.

Originally posted by nitemagi:
•Ok, got the scores back last night. Decent. Maybe a little above decent. My real question is the cutoff qualifications for really good schools. Am I screwed with a verbal 9? I got a Phys 11 and Bio 12.•

Nitemagi, that is a great score, and from everything else, you got a nice package (no sexual harrasment intended)! A 32 is superb and though you are from Cali surrounded by ppl was spectacular scores, realize in the big scheme of things you a great candidate!

But I know what you are really looking for, people with similar stats that are doing well. So now I will satisfy that appetite of yours: 9V here, less score overall, and upcoming interviews at schools with 10+ verbal averages.
Oh yeah, U Chicago had a Q avg on writing, I got an N.