should I bother to expung record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rph2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just want to some input on if I should bother with expunging a misdemeanor conviction.

3 years ago a bunch of us went celebrating after finals and got a tipsy. I didn't have the good sense of taking a cab home and was pulled over and charged with DUI. Being a first time offender, and the cops not showing up for court, the charge was plea-bargained down to a reckless op, which is still considered a misdemeanor where I am.

I don't like to lie, so I have been checking the conviction box on the pharmacy intern application and attaching a letter of explanation for the last couple of years. The state board never even called me and just approved the license. Now I'm thinking ahead and was wondering just how big of a deal that is when it comes to job hunting down the road.

The law does allow first offenders to expunge misdemeanor convictions after 1 year. But I hate wasting huge amount of time dealing with the legal system and paying for expensive lawyers.

So I'm looking for some input. Will a reckless op misdemeanor have significant impact hunting for jobs? Is it worth the time and $ to expunge it? Thanks. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, just want to some input on if I should bother with expunging a misdemeanor conviction.

3 years ago a bunch of us went celebrating after finals and got a tipsy. I didn't have the good sense of taking a cab home and was pulled over and charged with DUI. Being a first time offender, and the cops not showing up for court, the charge was plea-bargained down to a reckless op, which is still considered a misdemeanor where I am.

I don't like to lie, so I have been checking the conviction box on the pharmacy intern application and attaching a letter of explanation for the last couple of years. The state board never even called me and just approved the license. Now I'm thinking ahead and was wondering just how big of a deal that is when it comes to job hunting down the road.

The law does allow first offenders to expunge misdemeanor convictions after 1 year. But I hate wasting huge amount of time dealing with the legal system and paying for expensive lawyers.

So I'm looking for some input. Will a reckless op misdemeanor have significant impact hunting for jobs? Is it worth the time and $ to expunge it? Thanks. :confused:

That would depend on your state. The pharmacist at the state board of pharmacy in my state told us students to list things even if they were expunged.

I vote yes. I will say that I had a conviction expunged and in my case it was not expensive or time-consuming. Actually now that I think about it my record was sealed, not expunged. Anyway I vote just go ahead and do it, I don't think you will regret doing it but you might regret not doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
That would depend on your state. The pharmacist at the state board of pharmacy in my state told us students to list things even if they were expunged.
That's illegal, despite what state you live in. Once you get something expunged, you NEVER have to write what you were convicted for, even if the job/school application says to list everything you've been convicted for plus the expunged things also. That's the whole point of getting something expunged.

I vote yes. I will say that I had a conviction expunged and in my case it was not expensive or time-consuming. Actually now that I think about it my record was sealed, not expunged. Anyway I vote just go ahead and do it, I don't think you will regret doing it but you might regret not doing it.

Thanks. Just how much time and money does it take? I thought you had to hire a lawyer and set a court date for hearing, and make an argument on why it should be expunged.

DUI is a criminal offense where you live? Wow :eek: I agree it's dangerous, but still . that blows :( I think in wisconsin you get two freebies before it becomes a criminal act

DUI is a criminal offense where you live? Wow :eek: I agree it's dangerous, but still . that blows :( I think in wisconsin you get two freebies before it becomes a criminal act
In every state except Wisconsin it is a criminal act. They are planning on changing the laws to put it more in line with everyone else.

In every state except Wisconsin it is a criminal act. They are planning on changing the laws to put it more in line with everyone else.

Interesting, i wonder how far that will go when 1/3 of the politicians have DUIs on their records. We saw how far increasing the beer tax (from 2 cents a can) went (voted down by a VAST majority).

For those of you not from wisconsin, the tavern league lobby there is about as strong as california's prison lobby. (that is to say, basically runs local and state government)

Interesting, i wonder how far that will go when 1/3 of the politicians have DUIs on their records. We saw how far increasing the beer tax (from 2 cents a can) went (voted down by a VAST majority).

For those of you not from wisconsin, the tavern league lobby there is about as strong as california's prison lobby. (that is to say, basically runs local and state government)
That is hysterical pharmB. At least the representatives accurately represent the wishes of the population of Wisconsin!

That is hysterical pharmB. At least the representatives accurately represent the wishes of the population of Wisconsin!

Yah thats what i always say :)

It would be sad to see DUI criminalized in wisconsin, considering the LARGE part of northern wisconsin where there is literally nothing to do but drive an hour across the north woods to get to a rural bar in the wintertime, and drive home. There are no cabs and nobody else on the roads at the time.. the biggest sufferers from DUIs are deer. Family who lives up there has basically described to me, 90% of the people at those bars are DUI every single night. If they had to go to jail, im not sure what people in northern wisconsin would do ... :(

Dont get me wrong i think driving while endangering other peoples lives is stupid and wrong, but in a place like the north woods, people deserve a freebie since breaking the law is pretty much the only way for them to socialize during the winter, plus not everyone is endangering themselves or others at point 08, many northerners can hold their liquor just fine

Thanks. Just how much time and money does it take? I thought you had to hire a lawyer and set a court date for hearing, and make an argument on why it should be expunged.

The lawyer was the expensive part. There were some misc. court fees, but they were a drop in the bucket comparatively. As for the court date, in my case the lawyer represented me without me being present, so it was no time out of my life. That may very by state, I have no idea. Ask your lawyer. In my case it was cheap (not the lawyer) and easy. I would prefer not to post what I paid my lawyer, but it included my defence as well as record sealing.