Should I Brace Myself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icare4u

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started off pretty good with interviews, I thought. I got 14 before October 24, then absolutely nothing since that date. Keep in mind I applied very broadly. I thought SURELY I'd hear something after Nov. 1, but nothing except for a rejection. I hate those things. :(
Should I brace myself that this might be all the invitations I will get?

Members don't see this ad.

Um, if you're applying for a non-competitive field, 14 interviews is plenty. If you're applying for a competitive field and you get 14 interviews, you're probably way ahead of the game. Therefore, I have no idea what you're worried about, unless you really mean "I didn't get interviews at the places I really really wanted to go, should I be bummed?" In which case, we don't know. Did that help?

oh, yeah, I should have addressed that. Applying to Gen Surg here, so pretty competitive. And I also should have mentioned that I have not gotten an invite from the ones I really wanted to go to. Sorry for being so vague...just worried here. I applied to -- I don't know, 41 or 42 programs. A bunch. I don't know, I guess I just thought they would come after the Dean's letter went in.

They still have to take the time to read the MSPEs and sort out the applicants based on this critical piece, so look for more invites within the next couple weeks.

I'm noticing the same. I had more than 20 invites up until 10/19, but only 4 in the 2 weeks since for IM. For surgery though, it sounds like you're in great shape.

Uhmmm....last time I checked November 1st was YESTERDAY!

aProgDirector noted that he got 1000 MSPEs yesterday. How can you possibly expect programs to go through all the letters in 1 day and notify everyone that they now want to interview? There are plenty of programs that don't send out many invites until the dean's letter is in...so please give them a chance to actually download and look at them.

Ahhhh, Doctor Cox, you always help me sleep better! :):):)

I noticed the same thing. A lot of invites were coming in September and the first few weeks of October. Lately, though, I seem to be in a dry spell with regard to invites coming in. They're coming in more slowly now.

Oh well, no big deal. I still have plenty of places to interview at for the time being.

Ahhhh, Doctor Cox, you always help me sleep better! :):):)

Are you sure you don't mean "you always make me scream to myself at night until my throat is raw and then vomit uncontrollably all over the place and then collapse in exhaustion"? Because I think you do.