Coursework & Fieldwork Should I buy my books or rent them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1CaliOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start OT school and I was wondering if I should by all my books or rent them? Will I need them in the future for references or the NBCOT?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just rent them. I would just keep the atlas, documentation text and UE text by whomever.

Definitely purchase and keep your Phys Dys, Peds and Mental Health textbooks. There may be others you are required to get that you may use in more than one semester, so it may be more cost-effective to buy (such as quick reference books). But no matter which ones you buy, purchased used!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rent, or if you can find pdfs online do that

Reactions: 1 users
Rent, or if you can find pdfs online do that
My partner finds almost all my books in .pdf for me. It's saved so much money and potential hoarding. Plus, when I'm studying it is easier to ctrl+F to find the exact section I'm looking for.

My partner finds almost all my books in .pdf for me. It's saved so much money and potential hoarding. Plus, when I'm studying it is easier to ctrl+F to find the exact section I'm looking for.
Would you mind asking them where they go to get the .pdf files? It would be a huge help to have a better understanding of how to do it.

I bought nearly all my books used through Amazon, with the occasional exception when a book was cheaper new through Amazon or AOTA. PDFs were also handy, but I preferred having hard copies. I'm planning on going into phys dys, so I've kept related books. The others I've sold through Amazon's trade-in program, which has worked out well for me. I have PDFs of most of the books I've sold back, so I'll have them for future reference and the NBCOT.