Should I call MD schools to ask if I'm URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danaruiz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this weird to do? I'm wondering if the schools I'm interested in consider me URM.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is weird. Identify yourself on the AMCAS as you would on the US Census. Answer all secondary prompts accurately and completely. Each school will review your application and make decisions regarding interview and admission.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, it is weird. Identify yourself on the AMCAS as you would on the US Census. Answer all secondary prompts accurately and completely. Each school will review your application and make decisions regarding interview and admission.

Thank you!! I appreciate the swift response, especially coming from you LizzyM!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have to ask, probably means you aren't.

Reactions: 3 users
If you have to ask, probably means you aren't.
I am Colombian and my first language is Spanish. I am a first generation immigrant. I'm just wondering if they view Colombians as URM, that's all.

South Americans are not generally considered UiM.

But YMMV... I suspect that some schools are liberal in their definitions so as not to run afoul of LCME (the accrediting agency). But those same schools are looking for high achieving URM so you won't get much love if your application is not sterling.

But YMMV... I suspect that some schools are liberal in their definitions so as not to run afoul of LCME (the accrediting agency). But those same schools are looking for high achieving URM so you won't get much love if your application is not sterling.
It is true that some schools "supplement" their UiM stats by designating many groups...
I know of a school that designated all Asians.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Some medical schools have now asked you to identify your preferred pronouns, your sex, and your sexual identity. I feel that this is an indication that they probably won't argue with you if you identify as URM, because when it comes to your ethnicity, they can't really tell you you aren't URM. And no, I am not saying that you can be fully American and try to argue you are URM. I am talking about situations like this one, or another where some medical schools say: "please identify your ethnicity." Then they give you a list and under Caucasian you see: "Horn of Africa, North Africa, South Africa, Middle Eastern, Turkish, White." You don't have to be from a certain longitude and latitude to be considered URM, just be ready to be defend yourself if they ask.

I am talking about situations like this one, or another where some medical schools say: "please identify your ethnicity." Then they give you a list and under Caucasian you see: "Horn of Africa, North Africa, South Africa, Middle Eastern, Turkish, White." You don't have to be from a certain longitude and latitude to be considered URM, just be ready to be defend yourself if they ask.
We are not going to ask. We have to make the decision to interview before we really know.
I have never seen as many applicants using race and ethnicity to game this process as I have this year. I have seen re-applicants who were South Asian last year who are African-American this year! I have had relatives of the applicant (who attend the school), befuddled to hear that their cousin is Mexican-American. This has made a commitment to service even more important than ever. If there is no evidence, no boost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We are not going to ask. We have to make the decision to interview before we really know.
I have never seen as many applicants using race and ethnicity to game this process as I have this year. I have seen re-applicants who were South Asian last year who are African-American this year! I have had relatives of the applicant (who attend the school), befuddled to hear that their cousin is Mexican-American.

They're obviously just trans-racial!

on a more serious note, do those applications just get thrown out? I would suspect that would be the case.

Well, do you consider yourself a URM? If so, why? Does it fit the typical criteria?
It's not what the OP wants or even considers themself, but what the schools want.

OP should consider the three PR schools if thier Spanish is fluent.

I have never seen as many applicants using race and ethnicity to game this process as I have this year. I have seen re-applicants who were South Asian last year who are African-American this year! I have had relatives of the applicant (who attend the school), befuddled to hear that their cousin is Mexican-American. This has made a commitment to service even more important than ever. If there is no evidence, no boost.

Holy ****! I hope your school notifies AMCAS and gets them blackballed for their duplicity.

It's not what the OP wants or even considers themself, but what the schools want.

OP should consider the three PR schools if thier Spanish is fluent.

Holy ****! I hope your school notifies AMCAS and gets them blackballed for their duplicity.

274BA73300000578-3033999-image-a-3_1428693085747.jpg

Mindy Kaling's brother approves

I am. Native Americans are considered URM.

I'm sorry I mean to say White, I think I was scared to sound "racist" but maybe SDN isn't the kind of environment that keeps up with today's over-sensitive vibes.

You already know that there are medical outcomes riding on getting URM applicants into med school. Again, it's not what the applicants want, it's what the schools want. And in the end, it's all about the patients.

I don't disagree. The fact that applicants fake about these things, and strangely enough some actually succeed in getting accepted by doing so makes me pessimistic about the admissions process.

I don't disagree. The fact that applicants fake about these things, and strangely enough some actually succeed in getting accepted by doing so makes me pessimistic about the admissions process.
You're thinking about the celebrity's brother who got into WashU or SLU? That's a rare occurrence. Hyper rare.

the solution will simply be to require evidence of commitment to community, and not merely pretty words.

It is true that some schools "supplement" their UiM stats by designating many groups...
I know of a school that designated all Asians.

Pretty sure my undergrad would toss diversity scholarship money at asian applicants back when I was attending... though it's because I'm pretty sure I could count the number of asian students in my class on two hands. We weren't a diverse school despite their best efforts.

I'm sorry I mean to say White, I think I was scared to sound "racist" but maybe SDN isn't the kind of environment that keeps up with today's over-sensitive vibes.
I knew what you were going for but I think implying that URMs aren't "fully American" was worse. Not actually holding it against you or anything, but yeah. Wording.
I suppose you could have white Hispanic mainland PR students who are URM, which makes exact wording slightly more complex also :/.

Truth is that given the AAMC's more loose definition of URM for Latinos, you might be URM. I am also South American and I believe many schools did consider me URM. As it has been stated here though commitment to the ethnic group is very important. I don't think calling the school is necessary, what will be, will be.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you dr.Breezy. I've been back to my home country to visit family and when I'm there I also shadow doctors (I was interested to see the differences in how healthcare is provided in my home country vs US). But I haven't volunteered in MA near I live mostly because I am not familiar with Colombian communities here, though I am very interested in immigration related topics. I would be interested in volunteering for a center that deals with citizenship paperwork (since I too have gone through the process) or health centers focusing on immigration or refugees.
Would you say that's commitment to my ethnic group? Or did I misunderstand you?

@LizzyM would love to hear your opinion too

I knew what you were going for but I think implying that URMs aren't "fully American" was worse. Not actually holding it against you or anything, but yeah. Wording.
I suppose you could have white Hispanic mainland PR students who are URM, which makes exact wording slightly more complex also :/.

Damn man you're completely right, this is why I try to stay out of it as much as possible haha

Thank you dr.Breezy. I've been back to my home country to visit family and when I'm there I also shadow doctors (I was interested to see the differences in how healthcare is provided in my home country vs US). But I haven't volunteered in MA near I live mostly because I am not familiar with Colombian communities here, though I am very interested in immigration related topics. I would be interested in volunteering for a center that deals with citizenship paperwork (since I too have gone through the process) or health centers focusing on immigration or refugees.
Would you say that's commitment to my ethnic group? Or did I misunderstand you?

@LizzyM would love to hear your opinion too

Do you speak Spanish? Have you been engaged in any activities that help non-English speaking people who speak Spanish? This could be employment or volunteerism. Being engaged with Spanish speaking people of any nationality would add some street cred to your application. The Spanish speaking community needs doctors. Will you be one of them? Show us your commitment by serving them now, in the US, in a capacity for which you are qualified.