Should I cancel an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Svart Aske

Dental Padawan
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I originally scheduled my Pitt interview in December so that I can cancel it after I've been offered acceptances from other schools. Now I'm wondering whether it might be bad form to withdraw at the last minute.
I'm not thrilled by the idea of flying out again to another interview, don't want to waste Pitt's time and effort and most importantly, don't want to hold an interview spot that could be someone else's.
On the other hand, the fear that I get rejected/waitlisted from the other schools makes me hesitant about withdrawing from Pitt. I've been to enough interviews that others might say I'm "in good shape", but one can never really be 100% confident about things like this (I think I did relatively well/decently at most interviews, but who knows what interviewers scribbled down on their pieces of paper).

So, should I withdraw now and take the chance of not getting into any of the schools that interviewed me, or wait till December and be a d-bag when I send an application withdrawal email?

Members don't see this ad.

I originally scheduled my Pitt interview in December so that I can cancel it after I've been offered acceptances from other schools. Now I'm wondering whether it might be bad form to withdraw at the last minute.
I'm not thrilled by the idea of flying out again to another interview, don't want to waste Pitt's time and effort and most importantly, don't want to hold an interview spot that could be someone else's.
On the other hand, the fear that I get rejected/waitlisted from the other schools makes me hesitant about withdrawing from Pitt. I've been to enough interviews that others might say I'm "in good shape", but one can never really be 100% confident about things like this (I think I did relatively well/decently at most interviews, but who knows what interviews scribbled down on their pieces of paper).

So, should I withdraw now and take the chance of not getting in any of the schools that interviewed me, or wait till December and be a d-bag when I send an application withdrawal email?

You should definitely cancel...there is no way in hell you have 9 interviews and no acceptance come Dec. 1st (unless you cussed out your interviewers or sumthin)

So yea cancel, especially if you dont intend on matriculating at Pitts..

Good Luck :thumbup:

You should definitely cancel...there is no way in hell you have 9 interviews and no acceptance come Dec. 1st (unless you cussed out your interviewers or sumthin)

It's 8 excluding Pitt.

The thing is, my stats are borderline for schools like Harvard, Columbia and UCSF. Also, although Pitt isn't anywhere near the top of my wishlist, I'd still place it above Nova.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think you have enough interviews. :D

advice from my prehealth advisor's data: statistically with "average" scores & stats, if you send out ten apps, you should get three interviews, and at least 1 invite from that.

you've have 8 interviews, way above average stats, so you'll get in somewhere. do you think you would be happy at pitt (from what you've read and heard)?

also, how do you feel you did in all of your interviews? according to a few harvard students i've talked to, once you've gotten an interview, your stats become much less important. it's your character & personality they're after. if you think you meshed well during the interview, then maybe you'll be fine :)

It's 8 excluding Pitt.

The thing is, my stats are borderline for schools like Harvard, Columbia and UCSF. Also, although Pitt isn't anywhere near the top of my wishlist, I'd still place it above Nova.

Honestly even 8 interviews, guarenteed acceptance.

Even if your stats are borderline it wont matter, for the most part when you get invited for an interview (especially pre dec) the institution sending the invite is satisfied with your app in an academic point of view and they are simply trying to piece the puzzle together. And these schools like harvard and UCSF have HIGH acceptance rates for pre dec interviews...Dont worry

But IF you are truly that paranoid I guess go to the Pitts interview

It's 8 excluding Pitt.

And LOL @ the fact that you made 8 look like a big difference compared to 9

advice from my prehealth advisor's data: statistically with "average" scores & stats, if you send out ten apps, you should get three interviews, and at least 1 invite from that.

Heh, that makes sense but isn't exactly rigorous reasoning.

do you think you would be happy at pitt (from what you've read and heard)?

I don't know much about the school, to be honest. I've spoken to students and they seem happy there. It's kind of expensive and isn't as highly regarded as UCSF, UMich and UW. But the question is more about whether I should cancel an interview now when I have nothing to gain but quite a bit to lose by doing so. I just think canceling in December is kind of a d*ck move as I'll have wasted their time and also clogged up an interview spot.

also, how do you feel you did in all of your interviews? according to a few harvard students i've talked to, once you've gotten an interview, your stats become much less important. it's your character & personality they're after. if you think you meshed well during the interview, then maybe you'll be fine :)

Looking back, I should have scheduled the Harvard interview after some of my other ones. I was inexperienced and probably a little nervous and intimidated. The first interview was kind of iffy but the second was okay. However, if I get into UW or UCSF I won't let screwing up with Harvard eat at me.

BTW, I'm surprised that you only have one interview so far :confused:.

Honestly even 8 interviews, guarenteed acceptance.

Even if your stats are borderline it wont matter, for the most part when you get invited for an interview (especially pre dec) the institution sending the invite is satisfied with your app in an academic point of view and they are simply trying to piece the puzzle together. And these schools like harvard and UCSF have HIGH acceptance rates for pre dec interviews...Dont worry

But IF you are truly that paranoid I guess go to the Pitts interview

Thanks for the encouragement :thumbup:.

many schools do expect few post Dec invites dropped as people will get in into their top choices Dec 1. Indiana does not even schedule people for post Dec interviews until Dec 2, they just send invitations with no dates... why bother if things will change...
Pitt might even have few people in mind to replace those who cancel invites at the moment notice. I am sure there is few people locally who would be happy to receive an invite with a few days notice.... or they just add one more invite to their second invite group... do not worry about it... it is expected...
overall schools know there is always few people who do not make it to interviews for whatever reasons- illness, late flight, change their mind etc...

Ha....I think you answered your own question in your first paragraph. You have some great schools you interviewed at and unless you are a convicted criminal, you should get into at least a couple. Good Luck!

it's easy for other people to tell you to cancel your interviews. don't do it though until you know you are accepted. take nothing for granted.

I know at my unlv interview, they mentioned that a lot of people cancel their interviews after dec 1st and it's fine -- they just want you to notify them instead of simply not showing up. I'm pretty sure most all dental schools have lots of people cancelling interviews once they get accepted, so I would say just wait until dec 1st. Yes you'll most likely get acceptances, but it might set your mind at ease to just keep the interview until you find out for sure. I know if I was in your place, that's what I would do because I'm paranoid like that, haha.

Cancel Dec.1; you have to look out for your best interest. Im sure that the school will find someone to eat the food they have for your lunch and we all know there are more than enough people who will fill the spot at Pitt in a heartbeat. I would give them as much notice as you can, but I would not cancel unless you have been accepted to a school that you know you like more.

Cancel Dec.1; you have to look out for your best interest. Im sure that the school will find someone to eat the food they have for your lunch and we all know there are more than enough people who will fill the spot at Pitt in a heartbeat. I would give them as much notice as you can, but I would not cancel unless you have been accepted to a school that you know you like more.

If you're conflicted, it'd be wise not to cancel until you have an acceptance in your hands to a school that you'd definitely choose over Pitt. And don't worry so much about the interview spot-- after all this time and money you've invested into the process, you're entitled to holding onto all your options for the time being.

Oh, I definitely think you should keep the interview, at least for now. In the best case, let's say you get into several other schools that you like (which seems very likely, given the number of interviews and your lovely stats), in that case, it's not terribly useful for to go to the Pitt interview, so you could cancel it at that point - it's nice that you're considering other applicants who could potentially have that interview spot, but if you drop, whoever was 'next on the list' will eventually get the call, and won't be much worse for having to wait a few weeks. Also, I'm guessing that many schools expect some post-Dec 1 interview-dropping. But what if - unlikely but possible - you only get into Nova, or you don't get into any school - it would especially sting if you've already dropped the Pitt interview...I think it's wise to keep the interview as a back-up. And actually, the school might surprise you...so taking the time/spending the money might be a small price to pay for a place that you might be happier at...I bet you'll be fine either way, though. good luck!

If you cancel your interview it should be because you (A) don't want to go there or (B) are assured a spot at a place that you like better. Don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings or being a "dick". You took the time and money to apply, so you should be looking out for your own best interests. These schools know and understand that.

i think you should let other people have that interview spot. Do good things and good things will happen to you. :)