Should I change positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuckoo879

legal drug dealer
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m on a bit of problem here. I work for CVS for a semi busy store. We open from 8-12 with 3 pharmacists overlapping during the day. But they keep 4 pharamcist full time here. When I started I use to get 36-40 hrs per week, but with all the budget cuts I’m now only getting 30 hrs per week. I know I can pick up shifts at different stores, but the schedule has made it difficult. I’m working 5 days per week with like 6 hrs shifts each. (Manager needs to divid the hours evenly) It’s hard to pickup shifts when you have to go in everyday. I’m not sure if I should apply to Walgreens, if pharmacist will get more than 30 hrs/week or not.

I’ve been applying to other positions like hospital and LTC but with a retail background I haven’t heard anything back. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I’m on a bit of problem here. I work for CVS for a semi busy store. We open from 8-12 with 3 pharmacists overlapping during the day. But they keep 4 pharamcist full time here. When I started I use to get 36-40 hrs per week, but with all the budget cuts I’m now only getting 30 hrs per week. I know I can pick up shifts at different stores, but the schedule has made it difficult. I’m working 5 days per week with like 6 hrs shifts each. (Manager needs to divid the hours evenly) It’s hard to pickup shifts when you have to go in everyday. I’m not sure if I should apply to Walgreens, if pharmacist will get more than 30 hrs/week or not.

I’ve been applying to other positions like hospital and LTC but with a retail background I haven’t heard anything back. Any advice?

That sucks but it's expected. Even Walmart has been doing that number on people for a while now. It sounds like you need to get out of there. If all you're going to work is 30 hours, it'd better be over 3 days.

That does sound like quite a bind; I would try haggling with the PIC about trying to change those ridiculous 6 hour shifts before jumping ship. Try getting you cut down to 3-4 days per week then fill in @ another store. Can't be too appealing to other non staff RPhs there either

Members don't see this ad :)
That sucks but it's expected. Even Walmart has been doing that number on people for a while now. It sounds like you need to get out of there. If all you're going to work is 30 hours, it'd better be over 3 days.
My DM said this morning, a year ago every time she posted a position there were about 20 applications, now at least 40 applications just for a part time position!

That does sound like quite a bind; I would try haggling with the PIC about trying to change those ridiculous 6 hour shifts before jumping ship. Try getting you cut down to 3-4 days per week then fill in @ another store. Can't be too appealing to other non staff RPhs there either
I would try if they can reduce to 4 days or you just have to suck it up and pick up shifts on your days off. Couple years ago I worked 10 to 14 days straights. Now the system doesn't even allowed me to work 10 days straight. Still grateful that I can pick up extra shifts in this market.

You get 3 rphs overlapping at a non-24 hr store? Very lucky!

That schedule is really unfair to you. Give us a sampling of a day to day schedule.

Thanks for the response guys. We were approved to jump start at 7am (use to be at 6am) have a scriptpro and all. Overall I think with a little hard work my store is in better shape than some of the slower stores. So I usually pick the 3:30-12am shift. Now it’s cut to 6:15-12am. Luckily the weekend were 12 hr shift. So I work 4 days for that week and get around 33 hrs. With all the changes in district too I’m not even recieiving opening shift messages from the new scheduler

My DM said this morning, a year ago every time she posted a position there were about 20 applications, now at least 40 applications just for a part time position!

It’s not worth it. There’s nothing wrong with having two part-time jobs. Ideally, you can get benefits from one of them. But FIVE six hour shifts, that’s ridiculous. It’s been done to me, though.
It will only get worse. Pharmacy schools are not going to stop producing new grads every year with fresh pharmacology/pharmacotherapy knowledge.

It’s not worth it. There’s nothing wrong with having two part-time jobs. Ideally, you can get benefits from one of them. But FIVE six hour shifts, that’s ridiculous. It’s been done to me, though.
It will only get worse. Pharmacy schools are not going to stop producing new grads every year with fresh pharmacology/pharmacotherapy knowledge.

So here’s the problem, have you thought about changing your career? Personally think Pharmacy is not gonna last long and eventually I can’t even afford student loan. I don’t even know where else to go that have compareble pay.

It's okay to have 2 part time jobs as long there is no conflict of interest (1 retail + 1 hopital/LTC/ect)

So here’s the problem, have you thought about changing your career? Personally think Pharmacy is not gonna last long and eventually I can’t even afford student loan. I don’t even know where else to go that have compareble pay.
It's okay to have 2 part time jobs as long there is no conflict of interest (1 retail + 1 hopital/LTC/ect)

I think so. But then again, CVS bought some LTC pharmacies in my area. They could argue that working for a LTC would be a conflict of interest. One thing to keep in mind is that it's only a conflict of interest IF you are considered full time at one of the two jobs; regardless of your base hours. For example; at Walmart you are full time with benefits at 48, 56, 64, & 72 hours per pay period. Those are all salaried positions. Part time positions are hourly, at least at Walmart. Thus, if you are part-time (hourly), no one cares where else you work. I wouldn't make super obvious and get a job across the street. I haven't any pharmacists encounter any issues because of this.

this is only the start. Soon there will be 100 applications per a job opening for a part time floater.

It is legal to be a sex worker in some parts of rural Nevada. They are very well compensated. If you work 12 hour days you can probably clear over 100,000 USD a year. It's hard work though.

It is legal to be a sex worker in some parts of rural Nevada. They are very well compensated. If you work 12 hour days you can probably clear over 100,000 USD a year. It's hard work though.

LOL, is this about it being a conflict of interest?

It's okay even if there is a conflict of interest. I've worked one day at an independent and the next day at their competitor across the street.
Rite aid fired a few pharmacists in my area a few years ago for working at independent pharmacy. I used to work part time at a clinic for city employees a few years back and Walmart said it was a conflict of interest.

Rite aid fired a few pharmacists in my area a few years ago for working at independent pharmacy. I used to work part time at a clinic for city employees a few years back and Walmart said it was a conflict of interest.

Good point. Walmart has said that to us, as well. However, that was in my market. I have floated to other markets and encountered pharmacists who had the OK from the market director as long as the other pharmacy was within X miles of the Walmart. So maybe it depends on who the boss is OR who the employee is? Don't know. That's all I know.

We have people hired last year that are still looking for more than 32 hours/week.

I’ve been trying to get part time job at hospital/LTC you name it. Most resume i submitted was either a denial or no response. I’m loosing hope

Don't give up, keep looking, and apply again. When you least expected that when they call you for interview. CVS has LTC too, have you looked into that yet? At least you still have some hours right now, send an email to your scheduler let she/he know that you looking for extra hours. Just be flexible and willing to drive, that's how I get extra shifts all the time. My boss, scheduler, and other pharmacists know that I willing to work on my days off, so they text me first when floaters are already scheduled. Sometimes, other DMs text me too and ask if I want to cover for them.

Your manager is an idiot. What are your total rph hours allocated per week? He should be keeping most shifts at 8 hours or 4 hours to allow flexibility for the rph to pick up other shifts at stores or at the very least leave early to be productive with day.