Should I consider retaking the MCAT?

Started by TNF-α
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TNF-α

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Trying to figure out if I should retake the MCAT before applying. I got a 514 and have a 3.7 GPA. I’ll have about 7,000 hours of research experience (2 years volunteering as an undergraduate and 3 years working full time as a lab tech), with a few publications and abstracts/posters. Not sure if my time leading up to applying would be better spent studying to retake the MCAT or volunteering and spending more time in my lab. Would appreciate any advice.
 
Sounds like a similar situation as this recent thread, except with more research and lower GPA. Given the advice in that thread, it sounds like you're good as long as you apply broadly. Though I'm always curious to hear what the adcoms on here think.

Will you have strong letters of rec from your PIs?