Should I continue non-clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pewpew95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the case I need to reapply (which will probably happen), will it look inappropriate for me to have not continued non-clinical volunteering? I had 331 hours total from undergrad across 3 organizations. I volunteered with each organization for about 2 years. I am still continuing my clinical volunteering at a free clinic. I just don't think I'll be able to find the time to do anything non-clinical between my current classes, research, and part-time job as a scribe. When I reapply, the new additions to my application will be hours from scribing and research, and maybe another ~100 clinical volunteer hours.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't have the time to do it don't do it. It's not imperative especially since you're continuing your clinical hours.

In the case I need to reapply (which will probably happen), will it look inappropriate for me to have not continued non-clinical volunteering? I had 331 hours total from undergrad across 3 organizations. I volunteered with each organization for about 2 years. I am still continuing my clinical volunteering at a free clinic. I just don't think I'll be able to find the time to do anything non-clinical between my current classes, research, and part-time job as a scribe. When I reapply, the new additions to my application will be hours from scribing and research, and maybe another ~100 clinical volunteer hours.
On the surface, having >300 hours of non-medical volunteering is very good. Can you give general categories of what each group did? For example, if it was all political or marathon support, it won't reflect as well as activities that served those in need.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the surface, having >300 hours of non-medical volunteering is very good. Can you give general categories of what each group did? For example, if it was all political or marathon support, it won't reflect as well as activities that served those in need.

Two were mentoring disadvantaged students (direct contact). The third was a student org that I founded to fundraise money for certain supplies that underserved women in the local community needed (indirect contact). There was overlap between the mentoring and the student org stuff.

If you don't have the time to do it don't do it. It's not imperative especially since you're continuing your clinical hours.

Okay that's what I was hoping for!

Reactions: 1 users
Two were mentoring disadvantaged students (direct contact). The third was a student org that I founded to fundraise money for certain supplies that underserved women in the local community needed (indirect contact). There was overlap between the mentoring and the student org stuff.
I think you're good to go, if your time crunch requires that you drop these activities, if it turns out you'll need to reapply.

Reactions: 1 user
Cut it down to one organization with the easiest schedule/lowest time commitment so that you can at least say you are still doing the activity when actually applying. It will come off looking less check-boxish.

Reactions: 1 users
Cut it down to one organization with the easiest schedule/lowest time commitment so that you can at least say you are still doing the activity when actually applying. It will come off looking less check-boxish.

The thing is, these were undergrad activities (I'm now a graduate student, living in the same city but not associated with the undergrad institution). I'm not sure how it looks to stop these activities after graduation. I could continue mentoring for one of the organizations that was not associated with my institution, but again, I'm really crunched on time and not sure if adding another commitment on top of everything else is necessary as a reapplicant.

The thing is, these were undergrad activities (I'm now a graduate student, living in the same city but not associated with the undergrad institution). I'm not sure how it looks to stop these activities after graduation. I could continue mentoring for one of the organizations that was not associated with my institution, but again, I'm really crunched on time and not sure if adding another commitment on top of everything else is necessary as a reapplicant.

Oh I see, in that case you should probably be fine. You already have a pretty significant commitment. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
If you can spare 2 hours a month, you may be able to find a non-clinical service organization that could use your help. If you were doing non-clinical volunteering because you needed to for your application, then you can quit. If you were doing it because you want to help people, then you should keep on helping until the need isn't there anymore.

Reactions: 2 users